Telescoping Vs Migratory Lids

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jan 15, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Just like to know others opinions on why they prefer one type over the other? Myself i prefer migratory lids, because i move hives to outyards and they take up less space in the truck or trailer. I don't have to use innercovers that i think gives SHB another place to hide and just more equipment to buy and store. The migratory lids are easy to make and take less material to make. The only things i can think the advantage the telescoping lid has, would be the less chance for water to get inside the hive.Some beekeepers feed over the innercover, i use top feeders. Jack

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack:

I like the idea of migratory covers but unfortunately for us up here they are not ideal. We see a lot of rain, snow, winds, etc. I am assuming that migratory covers do not have metal sheathing so I don't know how well they would stand up to the weather we get.
    We don't have SHB (yet) so running inner covers is a plus for us as well.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I use migratory with jar feeders in summer, (March to October) telescoping with inner covers and feed hard bee candy in winter. November - February our rainy months

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Migratory bottom boards and lids. Have made a lot out of ceder tong and grooved, have also made them with 1/2" plywood but rip the plywood at 15 3/4" wide them glue and staple 3/8" wide strips of pine on the 2 long edges to make them the 16 1/2" total width needed. Front edge and top cleat on the front and back. Paint with 2 coats of good exterior paint and they will last 25 years or till the first bear, which ever comes first. By adding the strips to the 2 long edges the sheet of plywood can be cut to yield 12 covers or bottom boards. The strips also keeps the water from entering into the layers of plywood and keeps them from separating. the bottom board are made 22 inches long as well as the out side lenth ot the migratory covers so when loaded on the flat deck the hive bottoms and covers both rest against the covers and bottom of the hive in front and stack tight together in width. The cleat on the cover allows the hives to be stacked for a second row leaving everything square and stacked tight so the load wont move of shift while being transported.