tennesse walking horses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Sep 13, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have always been facinated by the gate of the tennessee walking horse. My wife and I was at our local parade when 2 of them come down the parade route with there unique gate. My wife had never seen a horse walk like that. I just watched with facination. We dont see them horses around these parts much. I know they was originally bred in the south for plantation owners to ride on there land with. The wife asked me if they have to train them to walk this way and I couldnt answer that question. Can some one sell me a vowel on this one and give me a clue so i can answer the question :D

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes they train them that way. In my opinion it is kind of cruel the way I have seen it done. They have all kinds of rigging to make them walk that way and hold their tail up. Weight their hooves down with chains to make them high step.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

they supposedly make for a great ride. my objection (with horses in general) is they have no kill switch for turning them off.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Really? Didn't know that. While we've never had Tennessee Walkers, we've had a few gaited horses over the years, and the gait was just acquired by breeding. A nice, smooth ride.