Texas Bee Hive Thefts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeerDaddy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. BeerDaddy

BeerDaddy New Member

I am building more TBH hive boxes to house my "Bee Removal" colonies in.
    So i will be moving the hives out to 100 acres in SouthEast Texas, my question is: Has anybody in Texas had problems with hives being stolen?

My local commercial beekeeper has told me some horror stories about hive theft and vandalism.

Me think he is trying to scare me out of starting a bee business, so he has less competition/more customers. He operates a 100 hive local honey operation!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

by industry definition the fellow is a sideline (as I am) with 'only' 100 hives. there was some report of theft of hives over in the Washington County area this spring and a few years ago some theft of bee keeping equipment (I think mainly honey house stuff) over around Jasper a year or so ago. so no the potential of theft is small and typically always involves other bee keepers (for all the obvious reasons). It is good to place hives where they are behind close able gates and where they cannot be seen from the road. since you have gone to the trouble of registering with Paul Jackson office to remove bees you should also consider asking him about branding of bee boxes. as far as I know a fairly loose enforced provision of the bee law in Texas but can potentially limit theft since the boxes are easier to id <telling some law enforcement officer that the stolen boxes are white or this or that size or shape is likely not to get you much in the way of positive results.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Rat, i was gone from the fourm for awhile and never heard how your branding iron project came out, or are you still working on it? Jack

4. BeerDaddy

BeerDaddy New Member

Bee Hive Branding Iron Project?

What project, and how do you build one, where do you get the metal letters, how do you get it hot enough to brand the wood, etc......???????

Spill the beans guys........

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat who does a machine job gig was considering making and selling branding type iron so people could ID their equipment. Jack was inquiring with riverrat as to how that project was progressing.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im still working on it as time permits. Business has been steady so its kind of been on the back side for awhile. Hopefully I can get on it soon

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks rat, i hope buisness stays good for you :thumbsup: and when beekeeping lets up a little you can work on it again. Jack

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what im looking at doing. They have a tandy leather wholesale warehouse in wichita. I have been in there twice talking to the manager trying to buy the letters individually. So far all I got is you got to buy them by a set. I can buy the letters at 50 percent off retail and if I can get the individual letters there will be no problem making an economical iron. They want to sell only sets. If only all letters in alphebet was used equally and we lived in a perfect world sets would be great. but I see buying 4 sets of 26 letters to get 2 a 3 e 4t and a drawer full of unused letters which sends us right back to what Im trying to avoid a costly branding iron. I do want to do some experimenting using aluminum letter blocks but i dont know how well the would hold up to the heat. they may work since it would be an item that doesnt get used day in and day. But somewhere in time the will fail question needing answered where is that fail point

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

do the newspapers still use the metal letters for their press's...my mom has 2 or 3 letters from an old printing press from a newspaper....maybe you could get some they dont need...just a thought :/

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

good idea and I have give it a thought but most of them was lead so they could be remelted if I could find the old lead mold I wouldnt be above casting them out of aluminum since I fill a 55 gallon barrel plus of aluminum chips in a few weeks

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rat, does the Tandy Co. make these letters? or do they have a company that makes them for them? If so maybe you could bypass the middle man. Jack

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I cant get much out of the manager. Im willing to bet they are made in another country. These will work perfect for the design I worked on. I did consider since I can buy at half price. Make the iron
    and sell it and then offer the letters to people at cost and they buy a set of letters or numbers and they can work out what they need. and possible trade amongst each other here on the forum. May be a way to bring in a few new members if I was to sell to a keep outside the forum

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's a good idea rat. That's why your a buisness man and i'm not :mrgreen: , i never would have thought of that. :thumbsup: Jack

14. Murrell

Murrell New Member

They may still be made in the US, [ doughtfull though ]

Tandy sold them in the 60's long before China was discovered by industry!

Murrell

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Several years ago I saw an item in a bee equipment catalog about ordering branding irons for bee hives. I don't remember exactly when nor do I remember which firm (or for that matter, the all important issue of price) so I guess my info isn't worth very much.
    Just a thought...... :|