Thanks Adam and Paul

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by PerryBee, Sep 12, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sky high cut-out:
    Bees not where we thought. The cavity where they were entering had been sprayed 2 years ago so it was full of comb that the bees would not use. Instead, they walked down to the next cavity and set up shop. We removed a bunch of the old comb and then started the bee-vac. We never did find the queen but Adam banded 8 frames of brood. We found an interesting debris pile carefully piled and covered up as well.
    Adam was kind enough to talk to the newspaper lady (I'm not good at talking much). :lol:

There were many nooks and cranny's that bees ran into so we were not sure we got the queen (never did find her). Rather than open the bottom of the vac to see if any stragglers or late foragers would find the hive, and possibly lose the ones we had vac'd, we opened up the top hole on the vac so foragers could crawl in but the captured bees couldn't leave. We misted them down with water, and the night time temps should be OK.
    When Paul and I went back just as it got dark, we found only a handful of bees wandering around aimlessly (pollen baskets still full) and did not see a cluster of any kind. There is one small opening where we could see a few bees but not many.
    I hope we have her because I intend to move the hive early tomorrow morning. Paul and I will then replace the facia boards and seal it up.
    I want to thank Adam and Paul. Adam, as chaotic as it seemed at times, I had a blast. I will sleep well tonight though, this was a long day.

Attached Files:

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

real nice job Perry:thumbsup:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DANG, that looks like fun. Do you see now why I said the honey would not be contaminated?

PS. Didn't somebody say they were in the soffit? :D :D

Glad it all went well.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice cut out, can't believe you get tongue tied around somebody!

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Nobody ever said they were in the soffit.:lol:
    Great cut out guys:thumbsup:

6. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

He didn't get tongue-tied. It was just that he couldn't talk while 45 feet up and running a bee-vac while the newspaper reporter was on the ground, and a little nervous about getting too close. I offered all kinds of bee wisdom that I remember from reading the bee forums! There was only room for two people at a time up there, so I had to wait until the wood was cut open, and it was time to frame brood comb.

Perry, that wasn't chaotic. You did a great job of being prepared. I think we learn a few things every time, so that's part of the fun. I was glad to have the important role of putting comb into frames. I'm happy to say that I believe we got virtually all the brood out of there intact. And it wasn't easy.

It appeared that over time, comb had sagged and bent, and was then reworked, so that there was a lot of intertwined, curving comb with lots of little holes and passages. So to get it all into frames as well as we did with as little damage to the brood as we managed was pretty nice.

I'll be happy to hear the fate of that queen. I would love to have those genetics in my yard. I saw no mite damage in there, and that was one healthy, booming colony.

Adam

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That looks like a great job was done! :thumbsup:

Glad to see y'all moving up in the world! :roll:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice Job! Thanks for sharing the pictures...hope ya got some beauty sleep Perry...