Thanks to Zookeep

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by RE Jones, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Zookeep called me last week with a cut out to do in Tampa. A little far for him to drive, so he let me know about it.

I went over this morning to talk to the lady who owns the house and to check and see how I was going to do this cutout. It turns out that this is going to be a trapout.

The bees are going in a hole right by the meter box, in a concrete wall. The hive is located to the left of the meter box. I used my laser thermometer to locate them. I plan on plugging up the entrance that they are now using and drilling a hole right over the hive(it will make it a whole lot easier to mount the cone) and setting up the box and see what happens.

Very gentle bees as I was standing in their flight path and they just flew around me and continued on about their business. They are bringing in a lot of pollen this morning as I watched them.

I plan on using steel wool and silicone to plug up the entrance they are now using. Anybody see anything wrong with that? They are going in behind the conduit that feeds the meter box and it would take an engineer to figure out a cone that would fit over this hole.

Thanks to Zookeep for the chance to do a cutout, which I have never done before.

I will take my camera next Friday and take pictures of the before and after.
    Robert

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good luck with this one. It is a trap out that you are doing? no way to get to the comb from the inside to remove the comb as well?
    Post photos please and thank you.

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Apis, the only way to get to the comb would be to knock a hole in the concrete block and then I am afraid I would have to knock another hole in another block, it depends on how big the hive is. I do not want to tear down part of a wall ( and neither does the lady who owns the house) to try and get the comb out.

I have read that if all of the bees come out of the wall and into a box that I have provided, once they are all out, I can remove the cone and let them rob their old hive out. I do not know if this is true, but that seems to be the only other option.
    Robert

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Only if the bees that came out of the trapout has a new queen in the trapout box, they will rob there old hive out.I don't like to do trapouts because of the time it takes (5 to 8 weeks). I usually put a frame of eggs with nurse bees in the trapout box and let them make there new queen. Good Luck. Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Have fun, and good luck Robert! Pics would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

As for Zookeep passing this on to you.....
    Slice of pie for Zookeep!

index.jpeg

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's always so nice to hear about "joint cooperation" among members of the forum. Good move Zookeep. :thumbsup:
    You're a a lucky man ER. :grin:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.....and hearing of your successful removal.

7. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Thanks for that info, Jack, that was the part they left out. That will be no problem, getting a frame with eggs and nurse bees. They may be a little upset, as I would have to do that the first thing Friday morning.

And thanks to Perry and efmesch for wishing me luck. This will be my first trapout.
    Robert

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As Brooks said above you will need a frame of eggs, not just brood, it must have eggs in there. Yhen again you could also use a weak hive, nuc, or queen cell to get it going, as long as the weak hive or nuc are queen right.

No need for the steel wool if you are using silicon caulk. You say it is a concrete wall.......poured concrete or a block wall? Either way if you do drill a hole in the concrete or block be easy on getting the dust inside of the hive, it is a killer.

Good luck with it.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I did my very first trap-out based on that very thread Iddee (Thanks). It was as good then as it is now! :thumbsup:
    On another note, I had never seen that video with you and JP before. Great stuff! :mrgreen:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.....and hearing of your successful removal."

ditto robert, well bee wishes to you! :grin:

12. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Would it hurt to have the box full of drawn comb? I'm talking beside the one with the eggs and nurse bees on it. I have several out of a nuc that just left that I can put in it. Seems to me that would help the returning foragers with a place to put their goods.
    Robert

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you've got extra comb I don't see where that would hurt (for the very reason you mentioned).

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ask the SHB and wax moths. If they allow it, it will work fine. :shock: