Thanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just thought I would like to convey my thanks :thumbsup: to those who put up with me in the past, actually missed me :oops: during my recent move and renovation fiasco, and have been kind enough to "welcome" me back.
    I have missed the forum and being able to participate in it.
    The reno is far from over, many more $ spent than anticipated, but I have come to terms with it. It is what it is. Sleep is no longer a scarcity, my son is enrolled in a great school, and my wife (despite my near meltdown) hasn't had the locks changed. I have learned from this endeavor that despite how bad or unfair things seemed to me at times (like U-Crawl cancelling my truck 2 days before we moved), I never had to look far to find someone who would trade places with me in an instant. For that lesson I am grateful.
    I haven't been able to properly check on my hives since Sept. 10th and even then only sparingly before that. They are now over an hour away from our new home and until I locate a few new yards in the area they will have to tough it out there. :cry:
    I remain optomistic that they will survive without my constant "help". :roll: My "management" of them this summer consisted of placing a third brood chamber on most to give them plenty of room and then excluders and supers. As a result there was a minimal honey harvest (probably a good thing considering my circumstances) but as a result most hives have a full + deep of honey sitting on top of the double deep brood chambers. Out of 23 hives, 18 look good, a couple are weak, and a couple hard decisions will have to be made on the remainder. I am hoping a quick check just before wrapping in late fall and perhaps a shifting of a few frames here and there to even out stores will be all that they require.
    I hope to be able to contribute more as time goes on and my "old self" returns.
    As such I thought I would change my avatar to remind myself to stop taking things too seriously, and that I am capable of having a good laugh now and then! :lol: (Sorry if the new avatar scared anyone!) :mrgreen:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Not only scary but ugly too :roll:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I thought it was a mans head being ate by a bear. :lol: Jack

4. pturley

pturley New Member

Totally ruined my image of him, and here I thought he was Saruman of Eisenguard.

Dammit, who is going to breed my armies now?

5. Omie

Omie New Member

At first i was scared and it made me cry. but then I got used to it and now I think it's cute.
    [​IMG]

6. pturley

pturley New Member

As for the rentovation project?

I've rentovated nearly every house I have ever owned... ...discounting my time, I have done well on every one of them.

My recent projects include two rental properties we picked up for cheap. One is done and rented. I am working on the second one currently (or will be once my three boys soccer seasons are over in a couple weeks!).

I am also finally finishing a dormer addition on our current house that added 880sq. ft of space. This was partitioned into two bedrooms and a large bathroom. The dormer and bedrooms were finished out ten years ago.
    I only just installed the bath and started hanging rock in the bathroom a couple weeks ago (I can chip away at this project despite the kid's schedules).

Rentovations are never as fast as you planned and always cost MUCH more than you ever expected.
    Despite the frustrations of living with sawdust when it is the home you live in and near divorice on a couple of occasions...
    Despite the overwhelming list of things to do that always seems to get longer everytime you turn over a board or pull a nail...
    Despite the thousands of dollars on our credit line, HOME DEPOT, LOWES and MENARD's charge cards... (all at ZERO PERCENT, or extremely low interest rates however!)

Despite all this, I enjoy it alot. I get emmense satisfaction from seeing it through and seeing it done right! I hope you find yourself at this point with your project sometime in the very near future.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Per ry Bee, I'm really glad you're back. :yahoo: Your new avatar is Great. Shows that you can smile at anything.
    When you're up to it, send us some "after" shots, now that we've seen the "befores"

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I use to do remodels for my pay check. For some people and some houses it always seems to turn ugly after a while. A lot of this has to do with improperly composed expectations (as pturley says the projections of time and money spent are never quite correct). Often time a marriage counselor should be consider an essential part of any remodeling project.