The Church Bee Project

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by 2kooldad, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I said I'd keep a log running on this. I started a new post for it though that way its all in one place and all on its own.

2/9/2012
    overcast and around 68 deg. with a cool breeze.

I started the Church bees today. I've been trying to get here all week and finaly caught a break today. I started by clearing the branches and vines from in front of the tree.

[attachment=7:1c702mzw]Cleared the entrance.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

After I got it cleared out I found the best spot to place it on the tree an straped it down. I would have liked to placed it a little lower over the entrance into the tree but the shape of the tree made me place it higher.

[attachment=6:1c702mzw]step 1...strap it on.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

Next I placed a skirt over the new entrance box. The plans I got showed the skirt made with black plastic visqueen and wrapped compleately around the tree. I think that would have been a better seal but I did not have any so I improvised with what I had, a cloth shopping bag from Publix. The idea is to seal the gaps between the tree and the box entrance forcing the bees to use the tunnel.

[attachment=5:1c702mzw]skirting the box.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

After pushing the skirt up to the tree as best I could I mounded dirt under the new entrance to block off the 4" gap under the tunnel and push the bag up tight against the tree.

[attachment=4:1c702mzw]bottom sealed with dirt.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

With the bottom sealed off the next thing was to seal the rest of the gaps between the tree and the skirt. I chose to use expanding foam for this job because the gaps were large and I wanted to use something that would adhear both to the tree and to the bag with no openings.

[attachment=1:1c702mzw]top sealed with expanding foam.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

Im not worried about the bees chewing through the foam because of such a large entrance hole with no obstructions. They have no reason to chew and it wasn't but a few minutes before they were useing the entrance like i planned.

[attachment=3:1c702mzw]bees useing the entrance.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw][attachment=2:1c702mzw]blurry bees useing the entrance...lol.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

It was gonna be dark before too long so after checking that all the gaps were sealed and the bees were useing the entrance I wrapped it up an headed home.

[attachment=0:1c702mzw]done for the day.jpg[/attachment:1c702mzw]

Im a little worried that a rain might wash away the dirt, but untill it does,if it does, it'll be fine. On monday I'll go back and check out the use of the entrance by the bees. If all is well I'll attach the empty trap box to the tunnel entrance and let the bees get used to comming and going out of a normal hive entrance.

Attached Files:

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

good work, wish I was as creative with the trap out in a pine tree,
    Barry

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well this is a '' see if i get the queen '' trapout....the whole purpose is to up the odds of getting the queen out of all or most trapouts instead of only a few....If i can get it to work consistantly trapping out the queen then i'll be happy.....i'll be posting the progress.

4. markles

markles New Member

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how you attach the trap-box. Good luck.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

2Kooldad,you might have to pull a permit for all that construction :rolling: :rolling: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is one project I will be following with great interest!

Thanks for the pics and the ongoing information. :coolphotos:

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ya dont need a permit on saturday...just tall hedges :)

I still have a few obsticals to work out like how ima get a beeless half green brood frame 50 miles from my house in february at 5:30 am before work....i love a challenge

im debating on my plan to get the queen out....i have a full feral hive in that tree....i have to coax the queen off of her comb....out the hole....through the tube an onto the brood comb in the trap box....no small feat...i plan to trap some foragers in the box with some built comb an get them storing pollen an honey in them, then removing the trap cone and replacing a frame of honey with a brood frame.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Carry the brood frame with bees attached. Shake bees off 10 feet in front of the tree. Place the frame in trap. The bees will take up with the hive peacefully, as in drifting.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

2/10/2012
    Sunny an breezy...75 deg
    Front door: active
    Mood: calm

I checked the bees to see how they had adapted to the new entrance. They didn't skip a beat. They seem to be oreinted well. I watched inside the tunnel for about 10 minutes an saw a few bees crash on takeoff, but for the most part all is well. They are walking from the back of the entrance in, but flying out from the tree at the back of the entrance without touching the tunnel (mostly) I dont think they wanna cross the gap to leave....hmmmmmm

10. rast

rast New Member

2KD says "They are walking from the back of the entrance in"
    I think that's why you want a few days of re-orientation without the hive body. Kinda similar to them going to the large end of a trap out cone. They will probably go through the same thing when the hive body is added, maybe more so, but they will re-orientate. I would not put the slide in cone in until they have re-orientated to the hive entrance.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

2/15/2012

partly cloudy an breezy...78 deg
    front door: active
    mood:calm

Checked the bees today to see how they have adapted to the tunnel entrance. They were useing it like it was always there so I decided to install the box. First I had to make a pad to sit the box on. The tunnel entrance sits so low I decided to use a dirt pad.

[attachment=3:34vrcetg]the dirt pad.jpg[/attachment:34vrcetg]

The box trap is designed to slip into the tunnel attached to the tree.

[attachment=2:34vrcetg]view of the back door.jpg[/attachment:34vrcetg]

As you can see with the large box in place, the boggled bees displaced to the base of the tree. That will change by tomorow afternoon I bet. With the dirt pad correct an the fit of the box checked I pushed the box in the rest of the way.

[attachment=1:34vrcetg]the open trap.jpg[/attachment:34vrcetg]

All that was left to do was put on the lid and leave them alone to sort out their new dilema. In a few days they will adapt and I will bring built comb in to place into the trap box, but untill then, the day is done.

[attachment=0:34vrcetg]the hive in place.jpg[/attachment:34vrcetg]

As a side note I wanted to note the bees attitude during this whole thing. Up untill now I have not used smoke at all, I have not been buzzed, bumped, stung or even noticed in the least. I could have done this much faster as far as time between adding trap components. I also want to see how the bees adapt to the changes and at what point, if at all, they get cranky. So far it is not an issue.

Attached Files:

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Good for you, looking good--so long as they readily can find home their attitude won't care allot, when you apply the bee escape and all those older, field bees, can't get back, they will maybe start to consider informing you that your presence in no longer required lol good luck keep us posted

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is great to follow, thank you again. :thumbsup:

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

2/20/2012

Sunny an breezy...75 deg.

Bees have been busy....building a back door that is. The rain yesterday washed out one side of the dirt mound just enuff to let them go under the foam.

[attachment=14:2ch0pa4x]bee going in the back door.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

Again with the foam :roll: . WARNING: if you dont want 100 bees stuck to the foam (picture to graphic to show :shock: ) have a bag ready to place over it like this. (Dont ask how I know :oops: )

[attachment=13:2ch0pa4x]have a bag ready to cover foam.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

Once the bee saftey bag was installed I re-covered the back door.

[attachment=12:2ch0pa4x]back door nailed shut.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

As soon as I filled that hole in they started to use the tunnel again. Now as a side note I learned that Bees, upon loosing a well used entrance, will almost instantly send bees to fan at the new entrance. I assume this is to send out the smell of the hive an create a buzzing noise to inform the bees comming in from the field where the new entrance is.

[attachment=11:2ch0pa4x]bees odour fanning 1.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

After only a few minutes the many confused bees outside the hive were directed into the new entrance.

[attachment=10:2ch0pa4x]bees useing tunnel after odour fanning.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

I decided to leave the top cover off and come back tomorow to install the cone and built frames of comb.

2/21/2011

Partly cloudy and breezy....75 deg

Today I came back to install the trap cone an add some built frames of comb to the hive so as to get the bees storing honey an pollen. I want the box to become a part of the existing hive. This is where it gets diffrent than a regular trap out.

In a normal trapout the cone would be very long and the trap box placed as close to the base of the cone as possible so that the bees trapped outside would move into the trap box with frames of built comb inside. In this setup the cone is inside the trap box WITH the frames of comb and much shorter.

[attachment=9:2ch0pa4x]the cone.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

Its all dark inside with comb just a few inches away. It doesn't take long for the bees to start backing up around the cone an almost right away take to the comb.

[attachment=8:2ch0pa4x]empty comb in and cone on.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

With the lid placed on the top of the box, right away bees are sent forward to fan at the new entrance. There arent any bees fanning before this for ventalation so they must somehow know when to do this and to go to the light.

[attachment=7:2ch0pa4x]bees odour fanning 2.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

With the lid on and the cone and frames of built comb in place im done for the day. I find this odour fanning intresting since you never really change the entrance on the langstroth hives, I never noticed it before. They only fan at home to get air moving. Ya learn something new every day.
    [attachment=6:2ch0pa4x]time to go.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

2/23/2012

Mostly cloudy, muggy and breezy....80 deg.
    Front door: you'll see

Well i was greeted by many bees today at the front door.

[attachment=5:2ch0pa4x]greetings.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

I had expected them to be a might pissy but to my suprise they were not at all. I wore my viel an gloves anyways just in case they were waiting for me to get close before they yelled charge. They did not though an all was as usual, calm bees.

I pulled the top cover of and saw lots of bees. Thats just what I wanted to see :Dancing:

[attachment=4:2ch0pa4x]4 out of 5 frames had stored honey.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

4 out of the 5 frames had honey stored in them on each side about the size of a large gapefruit along with a little pollen too. Way to go ladies :thumbsup:

The next thing I did was pull the trap cone back off.

[attachment=3:2ch0pa4x]pulled the trap cone.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

I want to see if they will continue to use the frames in the box to store honey an pollen in and gage how long it will take for them to do this. If i come back on monday an they are still storing honey an pollen then i will come back the next day with the frame of green brood. If the combs are empty I will re-install the trap cone again but for a longer time. Again the Bees start to odour fan at the entrance.

[attachment=2:2ch0pa4x]bees odour fanning 3.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

As you can see once the bees started to fan, in less than a minute the march began to return to the queen.

[attachment=0:2ch0pa4x]cone off an the march begins.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

I replaced the lid and headed for my better halfs cooking :mrgreen:.

[attachment=1:2ch0pa4x]my better half cooking.jpg[/attachment:2ch0pa4x]

Attached Files:

15. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

It is looking good! Thanks for the update and the pics.
    Robert

16. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

wow! that's great !keep um coming!

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now that's what I call looking good.....

Of course, the trap out looks good, too. :D

:coolphotos: :goodpost:

Nice job and nice post. Thanks, and keep them coming.

18. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

neat experiment ladies are doing what you expected they would, until the dig out another entrance lol keep us posted. looking good...
    Barry

19. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

:bow: This was one very nice post (s) I have enjoyed reading. Thank you for the photos and the updates. :goodpost: :coolphotos:

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good for sure, I sure do hope you get the queen to come out AND stay in the bait box. Will be interesting to see if they start a queen cell when you put in the green brood.

Great thread!!