The day's harvest (saved from the lawnmower!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pturley, Sep 28, 2011.

1. pturley

pturley New Member

From my sister-in-law's yard. She was just about to mow over them when I stopped by!

[​IMG]
    Giant Puffball Mushrooms! Most very young and firm.
    Due to the recent warm spell, a few of them had areas with fungus gnat larvae in them but this was easily pared away.

Anyone have a good recipe for these?
    (other than butter, sauteed onions and a bit of garlic powder (GP)).

I am thinking about baking a few of the larger, rounder ones with butter, a tiny bit of GP and then when about done, finishing it with a baked layer of farmers cheese. (BTW: an excellent recipe for "hen of the woods")

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

These pictured are Giant Puffballs.

Bad ones (exceedingly bad ones) are Destroying Angels (Amanita spp.) and are VERY appropriately named! As button mushrooms, destroying angels can be quite large, but are a bright white (as are some giant puffballs). When sliced in half top to bottom however, you can make out both a fiberous stem and the gilled mushroom cap starting to develop inside the white mass.
    Eat this one and you'll suffer from liver failure, which is a particularly slow and nasty way to die. If you live, you'll still likely need a liver transplant...
    Those that have eaten one and have lived have reported it to be delicious. A very wicked mushroom indeed!

Giant Puffballs (regardless of outside color) are a solid white mass throughout, without any sort of structure or color. Once they start to turn yellow inside, they are too old too eat.

Another thing to look for carefully is the presence of fungus gnat larvae (tiny maggots) burrowing through the flesh. I tried to bake a couple of these cut in half last night. That was a big mistake as the whole pan smelled foul... (enough to chase my wife out of the house!).
    When cleaning them I had missed a small 1/2" diameter cavity of larvae in the one. This was enough to ruin the entire lot.
    Apparently there is a very good reason you don't find recipies that tell you to BAKE WHOLE! (live and learn I guess!)

I'll go back to slicing the rest to ensure I get all of these out next time.

Due to the amount of rain in NE Ohio recently both of these mushrooms are VERY large, and VERY common this year.
    Two days ago, I found a handful of destroying angel buttons where most all were well over two inches in diameter!

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hey, nice!
    But I've never seen giant brown puffballs before- are you absolutely sure they are edible?
    I am very familiar with the white giant puffballs in our area. Here is a nice one I ate from a couple years ago:
    [​IMG]
    I usually slice them in 1/2" slices, dip in an egg batter, then in seasoned bread crumbs, and brown on both sides in olive oil in a pan. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with a bit of salt. YUM!

5. pturley

pturley New Member

Yes, both are edible. There are several species that are. Some very easy to ID (both white and brown ones pictured above) and some not so much. I skip those just to be sure!

I prefer the white ones (per your pic), but they are both good.

There is another brown skinned, darker colored but similar looking mushroom in our area called a horse truffle, but this is grey to even grainy black on the inside. If eaten, this one won't kill you, but it'll certainly ruin your day (causes severe gastrointestinal issues).

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I follow Omies recipe.
    Nice looking pic, Omie. I wish I had your eye for composition.