the death of T1a

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Zookeep, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

not sure how or when but T1a went belly up, I have 10 capped cells on 2 frames and not sure what to do, let them just just fight it out or should I split the 10 frame hive into 2 nucs, what do you guys think?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Little confused on what you are trying to explain. The hive died out and you have 10 queen cells on two frames?? If it died out what are you splitting??

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

T1a was the queen not the hive, I have 8.5 frames build up with food and brood and 10 cells on 2 of the frames and not sure if I should leave it or divide it in half in 2 nucs.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well, not sure how to answer that, and it would depend on the weather and if you are wanting to feed. As for myself in my location I would scrape the queen cells and combine with another hive since there is not any drones for the queen to mate with. No drones means an unmated queen.

Do you still have drones flying in your area?

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

From what Americanbeekeeper said we always have drones down here so maybe I should I dont know :confused:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would ask AB then, this time of year it would be very area specific. shoot him an PM!

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, I divided them up, I sat in the yard and watched the hives and I still have drones flying so figured what the heck Ill get at least 1 queen if not 2 and combine again if I have to.

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

now your gonna make me go look for drones....i havent seen any but now im second guessing myself.....cause if i dooooo....then ive got some plans...muah hahahahah }:)

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

(scratches head) wondering what kools up to, not sure if I wanna ask but...... does anyways

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

welllllll........see there are these pretty little bees i been instructed to go an get....they are in a block wall at this wonderful ladys house....me n rast checked em out the other day....now im not about to bust into this nice ladys wall an all we could see is the bottom of one comb....rast says we might be able to get em out with a long knife an a bee vac....now thats possible buttttt....if we cant an i cant get the queen....maybe....just maybe i can get some comb with eggs in it.....if i can then its on baby....i looked real close at one of the bees an it had a black butt...not like a dipped black butt....but more like somebody had ink on their finger an poked it an made a big smudge mark....now granted i didnt get a good look at all the bees but they all looked the same at bee speed....pertty little yellow bees...lord willing an the wife dont know....a few eggs an some O ABK's winter drones an me n rast got some niffty little okahumpka porkers to raise this summer }:)

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

okahumpka porkers, ok odd name for a honeybee, something native to that area?

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

no....just something i started calling bees/flying pigs after i watched them down gallons of sugar water/chedder from my wallet when i first started.....okahumpha is the town they are in thats all....its a 2KD specific term...lol

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

things went well for 1 of the 2 nucs but the 2nd nuc I dont think has enough bees now to make it, queens in both and both laying might be able to grab a brood frame from another hive to build things up in the 2nd I hope, we will see.

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

1 nuc has a drone laying queen, if the other is ok Ill just combine and dump this queen in the queen sent vat.

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

how many queens does a sent lure take....can you put in too many....what if you had a hundred queens....and can they be just born or do they have to be mated ????

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

not sure about unmated (but gonna add her anyways) but you can put as many mated queens in the vile as you like, I would think the more powerful the sent the better it would work.

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmmm....queens put out Phermones right away...i've dropped a queen into a queenless colony fresh from a cell '' I '' opened for her to let her out of and watched her walk right down into the mass of bees between the frames...without a thought they accepted her an she is the queen today in my best an biggest hive....im not sure but it seems to me that kinda proves they are born with phermones an use them right away....the frame she came from was in a diffrent hive so its not like she smelled like the colony i dropped her into...i'll admit there could be some reason other than phermones that they accepted her...im not a queen expert an get schooled on bees all the time....just seem logical to me an i havent read anything to the contrary....i wonder if her phermones change after she is mated....an if so...which one would be better for a lure....its a swarm lure we are making an they already have a queen...i wonder why a queen phermone lure works at all....if a swarm queen is a new queen an she is unmated than maybe an unmated queens phermones would work better if there really is a diffrence....if you dont know the answers how could we find out...or who could we ask....i never heard anybody mention any diffrence between mated an unmated queen phermones....hmmmmmmmmmmm

18. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

heres an odd 1, ok I have been waiting to see if the 2nd nuc is laying normal or if its a drone layer also, I looked again into the drone laying queens nuc and there is a queen cell, from everything I have read the workers would not use anything but a good larva for a cell so where did it come from? think maybe a laying workers in the box also and the queens starting to lay now also? lots of straaaange things going on in the yard these days :confused:

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I was not sure that workers will not use anything other than a good larvae to raise a queen. I have found what appear to be queen cells in conditions where it would be impossible for a viable egg or larvae to be present. In my opinion, when bees are desparate they may try to raise a queen by almost any means.
    I would still give your new queen a chance. I remember several times where I finally had given up on a queen and only when I finally made the decision to go in and find her for removal, what do I find, but a nice small pattern of eggs and larvae. It's happened to me more than once!

20. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ok ok....lmbo.....what would come out of a queen cell with a drone egg....a drag queen....a big muscular hairy queen....a little squeeky chirpy drone....a super drone....im sooo intrested now in this queen cell....your gonna have to set up a twisted sister web cam for us....seriously though....what would happen....i would think the nurse bees would know its a drone egg...wouldnt they...an wouldnt the extra space in the queen cell mess up the developement of the larva when it pupated (or whatever ya call it when they look like good speck bait....you know...the white bee stage...pupa right ??? )