The deer

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by alleyyooper, Apr 19, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

The deer are still running in herds here. We have a herd of 14 that strolls along the creek every evening going to the back which surprizes me as all the corn stubble is in front across the road. Then in the morning they come back to the front, they graze in the front yard some then go lay in the over growen field next door.
    Then there is another herd of 9 that lays mostly back half way down the fence line in the woods most days. They get up and streach their legs most mornings when the dogs and I go by the area on our morning walks. Every once in a while they are spooky and will trot off farther back. Once in a while they will lay at the edge of the woods on the south side where there is a nice ridge that blocks the NW winds is also south east faceing to the sun shine.
    They graze in the back yard a lot and keep the shrubs trimmed up nice. They seem to likethe flowering crab apple tree at this time. they should be splitting up into much smaller groups soon, then into singles looking for a place to have the fawns.
    I've got to watch my Jewel when the fawns arrive. She is always wanting to get them up to run and play.

:mrgreen: Al

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've been having four young does grazing about 100 yards from my house ( where i have my truck patch) i'll take my 22 pistol and shoot up in the air to run them off, but they will run about 50 ft. stop and look at me like were playing a game. :confused: I guess their waiting for me to plant my truck patch, they may become a problem. Al, these are whitetail deer, are your deer whitetail or mule deer. Jack

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Our deer are whitetails. the mules are much farther west except maybe some pened stuff.
    deer in the garden can be a problem. The May 2002 issue of Michigan gardner had a article by a raiser of prized Hostas having deer problems till he strung fishing line up. also the book Trowel and Error by sharon Love Joy has a section on useing fishing line to keep deer away from your gardens. I have used it with very good results BUTI also did plantings of stuff I din't care if the deer ate and they liked. Burning bushes, they love them and will even come eat on the one in the front door garden. they almost have to stand on the front porch to eat it.

Got a tom turkey going along the creek every morning Kare said. been doing it for a week she said.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Could you give a few details on the fishing line?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What Iddee said, they are getting too comfortable around here and I know my garden and apples will suffer.

G3

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hm! The deer here have shown zero interest in my burning bushes.

Haven't seen many around here of late. So far just a lone turkey, and some feisty raccoons (I assume) who insist on tearing apart the low stone wall around my garden every night.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I haven't seen the deer for a week now, but where i've disk and planted corn i see tracks (their coming in at night). I have to put up four strans of elec. fence to keep the coons out and i've heard that if you hang a tin foil plate from the top wire (with a wire) that the deer will touch it with there nose (curiosity) and won't be back. Also go to the barber shop and get the hair that he sweeps up and spread it around your garden, i hear that works to? A vender at our farmers market that sells peaches says he put up a scarecrow with his old work clothes and that keeps them out of his orchard. I hate to kill animals if can keep them out some other way, they are like us, just trying to survive. But some times you have to do what you have to do. Jack

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I use 30 pound test mono I bought on sale at the end of the open water fishing year. I string it tight about knee high on steel fence post spaced about 20 feet apart. Ya I know the fence post are on the over kill side but I wanted strong post not some that a slight wind bent. Replace any areas where the string is broken ASAP and they get spooked as they can't (I assume from what I have read.) see the string that puts that pressure on their body.

:D Al

9. the kid

the kid New Member

last sun , coming home from my son's , about 9 pm . told bonnie " I haven't seen any deer for a few weeks" . half mile down the road ,five to seven deer ran out , one hit the side of the van ( was driving the daughters van ) ..
    only put a 5 inch scratch and cracked the rear bumper . but called the daughter and said , I'll bet you don't let me drive your van again . I just tanged with some deer . All she said was , "are all you OK ? " I said yes . and she came back with I'll call the insurance in the morn ...
    Here the deer all ways have walked through the yard . the tracks of one looked like it stopped to have a look in the bed room window . when we holler at them for eating the apples off the tree , thats 20 feet from the window , they just look at us and keep on chewing .

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Tom I should not even mention this the way my luck is running but I have lived in deer country all my life and did much of my driving at night and early mornings and have never hit a deer with anything on the road. I had three run across the road in front of me one very snowie winter morning. I stopped and the 4th one well back ran into the side of my truck. It lay in the road in some curves and I knew with the snow on the road some one hitting that deer would cause a mess. I walked up to it and started to grab its feet and drag it off and it sort of started moveing its legs. I didn't hwant any thing to do with those sharp hooves so I walked around and grabbed it by the neck and got it off the road just in time. No one stopped so I said self drive the 3 miles home and call the law and meet them back there. So I came home called the law went back to find now deer. Guessed some one stoped found the deer still warm and took it till I looked at the tracks. It had gotten up and wobbly walked off the way the others had went. You could only see the slight ding in the door if you looked at it just right.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Rabbit taste real good,some say it taste like chicken. I like mine boiled just a bit then fried golden brown.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I disagree. There is NO chicken that tastes any where near as good as rabbit.

Sprinkle your plants with white, powdered lime. It will raise the PH of the soil while keeping the browsers and insects away.

14. the kid

the kid New Member

Al,, wish I could say the same ,,, til we moved out here ,I never even came close to hitting a deer ..
    moved here in 78 , have hit more then I want to admit to , there is also a lot of turkey , but have never hit one yet . but normally if you hit a turkey it is in the windshield , like hitting a 20 pound bowling ball .. always see 3 to 20 along the road .. we have to go through a game reserve all most any place we go . thats why the deer are so bad here ..

15. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

It taste just like chicken. Around here that is what is said about most stuff.

:confused: :confused: wifes girl friend said she wasn't going to a local fish resturant ever again. The fish tasted to fishy. Guess she wanted it to taste like chicken.