the dread free removals

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I now have 2 people in my area doing free removals, was wondering why things slowed so much, I never charged much just what was needed for gas and maybe a bit of new gear but Im not going to do free, guess Ill just put out a bunch of bait hives all over the place and kick back and enjoy the real dry hot summer that seems to be here all ready, gives me time to build that observation hive I have wanted to mess with:thumbsup: always a bright side.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just be patient. The free removers don't last for more than a few cutouts. Then they get smart.

3. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Iddee, is correct. Besides, when they get into a real hairy spot, you think they will be as tenacious if they are doing them for free? Sooner or later you will be going behind them & your reputation soars as theirs is plummeting.

...JP

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm the wordy newbee who's never done a cut out, but I'm smart enough to know that Iddee and JP are both speaking words of experience along with a bit of understanding of human psychology.

I've got a cut out I will probably be doing sometime this summer. It's an old, abandoned, dilapidated trailer. I just can't see myself cutting into someone's house at this stage of my bee education. ;) From what I know, though, there is not a great demand for cut-outs around here...if my bees keep swarming that may change, though!!! :eek:

Ed

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep, just be patient. You will get the calls the others do not want to do for free. I love a good challenge and of course charge accordingly. Got one at 35 foot in the peak of a house coming up and will have to do it off of scaffolding (side yard very steep), figured a day for two guys to go get it, erect it, tear it down, return to the rental store and make the repairs to the soffit. Then add on top of that charged for the cut out itself. Free bees, yeah right!!

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Its hurt us here as well. I have all but quit doing cutouts. When one figures out the bees are not free they give it up. But there never seems to be a shortage of another fool to step up and take the place of the one that became educated on the amount of work that goes into a bee removal

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yep, I hear ya. I've just been working on mine... Phase 1 of the build is nearly complete and I'm getting excited about it.