The Earth Fest swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So on Saturday just after setting up the observation hive for the Earth Fest bee booth over at Pellissippi State Community College I get a swarm call and it turns out they are just up the road not more than a couple of miles from where I am. Gas being as much as it is I'm thinking awesome, they're close enough to me to just grab them and drop them off at my west knoxville apiary. Jim Snyder was there at the bee booth and wanted to go get the swarm with me so we headed on over.

At first they were nicely clustered and we tried to cut down the branch they were on, but when we cut them it turned out there were two branches and the swarm got torn in half and lots of bees took flight but we got most of the bees in the box and sat back waiting on the rest to fly down to the box... but five minutes later the bees came pouring out of the box to re-swarm. Dunno what they didn't like about the box, but I tossed some swarm lure on one of the frames and after the bees reclustered on the tree about 10' from where they were originally I put the box under them and just shook them in, this time I wasn't going to wait for the bees that took flight and just buttoned up the hive and moved them to my outyard, but I could tell they were trying to get out of the box again. Anyway I shook them out into another empty hive I had just sitting at the outyard and caught a glimpse of the queen as she walked down into the frames of that hive. By that time we were short on time because the Earth Fest was going to come to an end and we needed to clean up our stuff so we just left them there without seeing if they would stick with that other hive.

I told Jim that we were having so much fun catching that swarm that we decided to do it twice, lol.

2. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

They were determined to make you work to catch them wasn't they?:grin:

Glad you got them hived.

James

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good going, the last one I caught twice I lost twice :)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Lets just hope they stay in the box for ya, a good spraying of sugar water might help.

Sometimes when they have made their mind up there is nothing you can do but wave good bye to them! :wave::cry::cry:

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yup, and I'm not too worried about keeping them, it was fairly obvious that these were not truely feral bees, but rather someone's managed colony that swarmed last year to move into their wall then swarmed again this year with the same original queen. They were pure italians and you just don't see bees that are all one kind unless they came from a managed hive, and unfortunately that means they likely won't be good survivors anyway.

Jim told them we could come back and remove the colony in their wall, but I don't know if he told them there would be a cost to do that, so now I've got to call them today and let them know that while the swarm removal is free, a cutout will cost money. They may not be willing to pay, they might just prefer to live with the bees. So there may or may not be a cutout coming later.