The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 5, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Just got back from checking a bee yard 35 miles north of home, they all had honey i could take off but the temp. was 102F and no breeze. One hive had a 30 lb. super of beautiful snow white capped comb honey, so i put the fumeboard on to drive the bees out,well i took it off and set it on the tailgate while i checked two more hives. When i got ready to go i checked the comb honey and the heat was making the honey bleed through the caps, so i put some newspaper down on the back seat and turned a top cover upside down on it and set the comb honey super in it so i could keep it cool inside the truck on the ride home. When i got home i drove to the basement door so i could put the comb honey super in the freezer. Well when the wife opened the basement door and i opened the truck door, my wife grabbed her nose and said,Oh my God, you've ruined your truck:eek: and told me to take my clothes off out in the garage, that they weren't coming in the house. I guess i've got use to the smell of Bee Go.:lol: Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Jack snip..
    I guess i've got use to the smell of Bee Go.

tecumseh:
    yep most of us do but also most of our wives will not.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol and you all wonder why I use bee escapes!!!!

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Gotta watch the escapes in the heat. A keep up here put an escape on under 3 supers and without the bees to cool things down the whole mess melted.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I'm just old and slow, I guess that's why I only put an escape board under one super per hive at a time.

Murrell

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Murrell, Murrell, Murrell, how many times have I told you, that's "experienced and methodical". :thumbsup:

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have never had a time wwhen 24 hours later not bee one was in the super after bee escape was used. It's a pretty fair bet in 24 hours the combs won't melt down, wait 3 days---well that changes the dynamics doesn't it lol.
    Barry

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

There was bees still in the super in the back seat of my truck after using the fume board, (about a dozen) they kept me alert on the 35 mile ride back home.:lol: Jack