The Guessing Game

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 3, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have a hard time seeing the eggs anymore, so when i'm making up nucs i find a frame that has fresh larva that at one end is just being capped and the other end the larva has just hatched but no eggs. If i get the sun behind me i can still see the wet spots on the bottom of the cells (royal jelly) so there must be an egg in there and other people say they can see them. I could always find the eggs up until 2 yrs. ago, yeh i know get some glasses, i got some 3 months ago and just use them to read with, i can still tie hooks on with 4 lb mono line without them darn things.Any of you have a way of knowing there are eggs in the frame without using glasses. :beg: Jack

P.S. i'm making nucs from my best queens and trying to find their eggs to raise queens from.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Don't ask me, but I'll be looking for other answers! I couldn't see eggs when I didn't need glasses. Now that I need them and never seem to have them on when inspecting the bees, it's pretty much hopeless! Hard to put glasses on and off with a veil.

Come to think of it... Can't see eggs. Have only seen a queen 3 times in the past 5 years. I could be storing empty white boxes out there, and I'd never know! :lol:

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Get one of those magnifing glasses that fit on a streach band.
    Personally I'd just get glasses. they sell some real good reading ones at wal mart and such. If they don't help (not strong enough.) take them back for a stronger pair, less than $20.00.

:mrgreen: Al

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can get them at the dollar tree for a buck a pair.

5. the kid

the kid New Member

I guess it may be that I've had glasses to long ,got them at the age of 15 ... 60 now ... If I didn't need them all the time , I would get some , that I could wear all the time with plain glass on the top and readers on the bottom , I just can not see putting them on and taking them off all the time ... and you can get the ones that darken in the sun and go clear inside ,, so you don't need to carry sun glasses .. but then I need glasses to find my glasses .. and with out glasses I see double .. :drinks: no,, thats sober ...

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what kind of veil do you use Jack?

I only ask because it seems to me some veil are easier to see detail with (thru) than others. My string veil* works great, but I have found that the material in my Dadant pollinator jacket limits seeing small detail.

*I wear reading glasses so if I want to see small detail I am pretty much forced to wear them all the time. perhaps you need to do the same thing?

7. XLB

XLB New Member

I would try the magnifying glass first, then the reading glasses and the veil. i wear readers and absolutely despise them, but then again, i can see the eggs just fine.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

You can buy a handheld magnifying glass with a little light attached to it- that should help a lot!

Also, how about shaking the bees off the frame, walking a few yards away from the hive and lifting up your veil to examine the comb better?

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'll try the magnifying glass. Tec. i have the bee suit that has a zipper veil, the screenwire rust out and i have a friend who owns an upholstery shop that replaced the screenwire with a nylon screen.I can see through it better :thumbsup: . My eye doctor told me last year i had the begining of catarcts :roll: , and i have floaters and a spot on one eye where i had a piece metal taken out when i was a teenager, so i've got a few things working against me.Thanks to all of you, i'll give your ideas a try maybe one of them will work.Oh ya i foregot, i'm 72 years old to. :mrgreen: Jack

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

tec I agree with you on the type of veil. My older screen wire veil is easier to see through and the Dadant jacket makes things look a little fuzzy.

G3

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

You know G3 I think the 'problem' is the mesh itself.. although I cannot figure if it is the color or mesh size or both.

I do wear corrective reading glasses and I do 'have to have' good light to see appropriate detail but I can see eggs quite clearly with my string veil but really have to strain to see eggs in my pollinator's jacket. the view thru my ultra breeze is one degree worse than the pollinator's jacket.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well i guessed wrong, all three nucs failed to produce queen cells. It's been about two weeks now that they have been without a queen, i have three queens being shipped tomorrow 5/10/10 and will arrive on thrus. or friday, i hope i don't end up with laying workers before they get here. I have seen orientation flights on all three nucs ( two days ago) so most of the frames of brood must of hatched out.I thought at leased one nuc would have queen cells where i could take one or two and put in the others. ( they didn't read my book). What would you do?(1) put in another frame with eggs,(2) combine with a weak hive (some i have started from nucs that are building up).(3) or wait for the new queens :confused: Jack

13. rast

rast New Member

Something I learned that missed seeing mentioned yet. Every once in a great while I'll clean my veils with a spray cleaner and brush.

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

What kind of spray cleaner would be best?? I've been trying to figure out the best way to clean my veil.... who would have thought the thing would get so dirty?

15. Monie

Monie New Member

I'm with you on not seeing the eggs, and I wear glasses. The real issue I have with glasses is that they slide down my nose when I start sweating. I think I need a magnafying glass in conjunction with my glasses. I'll remember the "wet spot" trick.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jack writes:
    What would you do?(1) put in another frame with eggs,(2) combine with a weak hive (some i have started from nucs that are building up).(3) or wait for the new queens

tecumseh:
    #1 I think limits drone layers so that #3 is a bit less hazardous.

#2 is a good option also and a lot of times it is better in regards to installing new queens (less likely to kill a new queen).

it is hard for me to image Jack that of three nucs made up none made queen cells. Are you certain you didn't overlook a cell at the margin of the frame (which is typically where I miss seeing them)?

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec, i went through the three nucs again yesterday. One had a laying queen,so i must of took the queen from the brood donor hive???. another one had two queen cells that were recessed in the lower right hand corner of a frame that i must have mistook for drone brood ( you really had to look good to see the difference) The other one now has a queen cell that i took from another hive that had 14 swarm cells. This hive was from a (Purvus Bro)(sp) queen that had swarmed last summer,they were ready to go,( or already did) so i broke it down, made three more nucs,requeened two swarms i just caught (with some of the queen cells) and split what was left into two hives with eggs (maybe :mrgreen: ). I never found the queen but one of my swarm catcher hives in a tree 300yds away had a swarm in it, so she may be there :confused: . So, Tec you were right to suspect that i must of missed something, and it's hard to admit that i could screw up this bad :oops: but when your wrong your wrong :roll: . My only defense is i have to many irons in the fire. Jack

18. rast

rast New Member

"What kind of spray cleaner would be best?? I've been trying to figure out the best way to clean my veil.... who would have thought the thing would get so dirty?"

Whatever my wife has under the kitchen sink. The last bottle I swiped is Winn Dixie w/bleach :D .

19. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see how it does, but I may have to use a different spray cleaner. The only thing about me using anything with bleach is that my kitty has some sort of strange bleach addiction and throws himself at anything that has that scent..... that could make for an interesting day in the beeyard :shock:

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't think kitty would hang out long in the bee yard. Although mine did, he would sit on top of the hives and watch for mice and crickets.

G3