The Honey Diet

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Yankee11, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Controlled atmosphere over wintering of bees has been used extensively in Canada since the border closure in 1987. And a lot of studies and testing was done years before that.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Are the results in Canada as encouraging as those presented in the linked video?

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yakima is about 350 miles south of me but we are close to the same temperate region and weather. Unpredictable spring weather is the cause of most colony deaths. What he is doing by wintering indoor is minimizing the varying winter factors.
    The results are good on the wintering survival of the colonies. The problem comes when the hives come out of controlled atmosphere.
    Pull the hives out of storage early so the bees have time to start raising early brood before the winter bees start rapidly dieing off, but it is still early with a lot of winter weather still to come. Depending on the year and the weather, hive build up and chilled brood could be effected.
    The longer the bees are kept in side the warmer the spring weather is and natural pollen is available for the bees. The down side is the bees are older and with no brood being raised until they are mover out side the colony size decreases rapidly.
    A solution some beekeeper employed was to bring some hives to the southern areas so they could benefit from the early spring weather and leave most the hives in storage longer and when they returned with the hives from the southern areas full of young bees and frames of brood, use these hives to add frames of brood to the colonies coming out of storage. This allowed the bees to be protected longer from unpredictable spring weather. and provided a boost to the colonies with old work winter bees. A beekeeper who ran 3000 colonies in Dawson Creek and wintered in doors, would pull and truck a load of hives to the Okanagan about the end of February, to build up during the early spring weather, and would hall them back the end of April, to early May to boost the hives that stayed in storage.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Apis, can they not just turn up the thermostat and get brood rearing started in storage?

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

With out Light stimulation from outside the hives the bees will not start brood and if the temp gets to warm the bees will exit the hive and will migrate upwards, leaving the bottom hives with no bees left in the hive.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I learn something every day. Thanks.

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Dang, when reading from such accomplished beekeepers as Apis, it makes me realize how little I know about bees. That's a good thing for me, as it keeps so very humble.

9. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I second that..

This forum has saved my rear on many occasions.