The Mansfield swarm pics

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sweet little bees, only maybe 3 cup of them, Let me see what my camera had: P4030903.jpg This was after we got home and in a hive. Learned a number of things, since it was my first swarm pickup.

1. Park the truck under the tree so when you get the queen in the box the remaining bees can smell her.
    2. be patient and let them move in.
    3. carry a suit or jacket in the truck. A dollar store had a sheet to put on the ground under the box, but for a quick veil that lace curtain was truly odd looking with my jean jacket and pond boots. Something like a bride of frankenstein effect.

I went through the box about a week ago, going to see if I can find some actual bee pics. They had done well and moved into a 10 frame deep. Bees are an odd mixture of colors, a lot are black and white rather than gold.

2. Gypsi

ok, apparently I went through the hive on May 18th. On top of this box you can see the early chilly weather feeding arrangement I started with. Real primitive but not leaky like ziploc bags P5181159.jpg

3. Gypsi

P5181161.jpg Pretty good brood pattern. There were 4 solid frames of brood, so it was high time for that 10 frame box. The unfilled cells in this frame were uncapped brood a couple of days old. Doing well now, survived our rainy weather. I am feeding all the bees, as the rain washed out all the nectar from the flowers..

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Ya done good! :thumbsup: Though I note there are no pix of you in your lace curtain.

And, I was wondering what the rain was doing... and feeling guilty because Stevie Ray Vaughn singing "It's flooding down in Texas..." keeps running through my head, and I am sure you folks are tried of it.

As you are one of the few still around from a few years ago, I report:
    After a middling first year, complete deadouts years 2 & 3, and a barely passable year 4...
    We did our first major harvest today, June 1st of the 5th year, probably will be less than 15% of our total for the year. A good 1st draw for us, and several gallons headed to Jersey next weekend to sell at premium. Mz Kay wanted pix, but we were way too sticky all day.

To all: Even bozos can be beekeepers if you work at it long enough.

5. Gypsi

That rain finally stopped. I got the swarm in the first week of april, and inspected the hive on may 18th when it wasn't raining, and upped their box. It finally quit raining here Saturday night. I'm ok but a lot of people aren't home yet due to flooding.

let's see, my first year first hive was hotter than a fire cracker, took off in a swarm I didn't chase, and lost the leftovers to wax moths. (in shade where seller put it) 2nd warranty hive started with 2 frames of bees built up nicely to 7 in the sun before robbed out, probably by the swarm that left the first. 2nd year 2 nucs a couple of cutout and a split with purchased queen, couple of my own fall swarms had me around 5 hives going into winter, oh yeah, one of them the returned swarm with definite african tendencies - did ok, no honey, big drought, but they were simmering efb from old beetree comb. 3rd year lost all but 2 hives to efb, added one from a purchased fall queen. 4th year came through with about 3 hives at end of winter, 2 swarmed, one's queen came back after the combine. I sold off my spare hive to get down to 1, the returning queen brought me up to 2, a purchased queen and split got me to 3 last fall My biggest hive of docile productive bees had brood going into last winter, they starved out below a full box of stores, I now know to keep an eye on late brood. so I ended winter with last year's returned queen and the beeweaver split hive, and both of those are still around. Got 3 swarms this year, seem to be doing ok... good to be back.

Congratulations on your harvest.... Last year I got about 50 lbs on June 30th. This year I am feeding not due to drought but due to rain. I find that the fewer hive I have the better the honey harvest, there just isn't enough forage out here to support a lot of bees. And right now I have a LOT of bees