The New Extractor Arrived!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Sep 6, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Came home today to find a large box from Maxant on my doorstep. There were arrows on the box indicating "THIS SIDE UP". But the arrows were pointing down. Nice job, UPS. The box did not look damaged, so I opened it up to find the 3100H shaft and basket popped out of the base of the tub with food-grade grease everywhere. The heretofore taped-down lid halves were also rattling around the inside of the box. The UPS treatment is not surprising, but I would expect Maxant to pack their vaunted extactors a little better. I also found one of the leg lugs bent. This was not the joyful experience I had anticipated. Is this karma for getting free shipping? LOL!

Anyway, I bent the lug back into position and popped the shaft back in the base, and everything looks to be fine. The lid halves seem to be okay, too. Back when I ordered the extractor, I also tried to reward the company (who gave me free shipping), by ordering other extraction goodies (fume board, capping scratcher, etc.). That was 12 days ago and they still haven't shipped. I really need to extract some honey, so maybe I'll build a bee escape, find an afro-pick at the dollar store and get going.:lol:

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

the triangle bee escape board worked really well for me.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

They didn't want to pressure you. They figured you'd need enough time to fix the damages and clean up the mess. :ranting:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I would have taken photos and called them right away. You paid too good of money to fix and/or receive damaged merchandise. It's not personal, just business. There are other bee supply companies out there and they need to remember that. I had a package from Walter T. Kelley with damaged goods and I almost let it go but thought to myself, no way, spent too much money on the goods and the SHIPPING (which is redonckulous these days). Kelley was upset at UPS telling me they had lot's of damage complaints about them. They filed a claim and told me to keep the box for a set number of days in case UPS would want to see it. Of course, your box was not damaged but handled incorrectly and rough. Kelley replaced/sent the item broken free of charge. I highly doubt Maxant will send you a free stand or extractor, ha!

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Agree. If I'm shipping a product, I'd want to know, not only if my product is being damaged by shipping, but also if there are ways I can better pack it for shipping.

And I'd call about the other stuff you haven't yet received. Generally, Maxant has very good customer relations.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't think Maxant sells fume boards, etc. so I'm betting that this delay in order is from a supply company the extractor was ordered through.
    I had a similar experience when I ordered a bottling tank directly from Maxant.
    I am sure that it arrived safely all the way to Lunenburg but when it was transferred to a "local" delivery co. for the less than 1 mile trip to my home, it was loaded in a mini-van and therefore was laid on its side in the back.(same deal with the arrows). There was a clear hole in the cardboard box where it looked like a bolt head or something had punctured the box. Upon opening the box, sure enough, there was a perfectly corresponding dent in the brand new bottling tank. It didn't affect the use of the bottling tank but I though "Holy Cr@p" I paid big money for this.
    I contacted Jake at Maxant and it took a while but they made it right. UPS was the biggest problem. Despite all kinds of pictures they held the whole refund process up and it took about 3 months to put it through. At one point they were not going to refund the shipping costs but after much complaining they relented and said "As a gesture of goodwill" they would refund it.
    Maxant swallowed the loss when the problem was not of their own making. It must be frustrating for businesses when this happens.
    P.S. - I got a nice new shiny (undented) one! :mrgreen:

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

LOL! Didn't think of it that way.

You know, other than the lug (where the leg attaches), there was no other damage. It took me 30 seconds of bending with a crescent wrench to get it back straight. Not sure that would be worth the hassle of getting UPS, Maxant and the original supply company to pay for return shipping, replacement and the general hassle. I just need to get some honey extracted. I will let Maxant know about what happened, though. Maybe, I'll just talk them into a hat and call it good. Wadya think?:lol:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I recently had a similar experience.I recently ordered two freeman beetle traps (the kind that looks like a screened bottom board with a plastic try under it). When I got the first one, the side rail was cracked. I took some pictures and emailed the guy I ordered them from. He was thankful for the info and I got a replacement in a couple of days for no charge and he told me just to keep the first one.

I appreciate swift, courteous service and don't mind telling people about it. I think companies with good customer service deserve our business. I also think that feedback to sellers will help them improve their packaging and/or their dealings with UPS (who I think may be getting a little too big for it's britches).

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      39 KB
      Views:
  9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

That is not freight damage the board had too high of moisture and when cut to lenth the exposed end aloude the moisture to escape and the end of the board shrank faster than the rest of the board causing it to crack.

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Puts me in mind of the Samsonite luggage commercials that were on TV back in the '60's and '70's with the gorillas throwing the suitcases around. Wonder if UPS now owns the gorillas? :lol:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

litefoot said: "Maybe, I'll just talk them into a hat and call it good. Wadya think?

Works for me! :lol:

Attached Files:

12. litefoot

litefoot New Member

You know, gunny, I had this gorilla image in the back of my mind, but I couldn't quite place it. It's the Samsonite commercials! You nailed it.:thumbsup:

13. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Bummer! but I'm glad it was able to be repaired without sending it back. Speaking of UPS, one of their drivers backed out of our driveway and over my mailbox, laying it flat on the ground. He drove back up the driveway, told me what he had done and begged me not to report him. I assured him I wouldn't, everyone makes mistakes etc, and let him go on his way with a promise of returning later to replace the broken mailbox post. I went ahead and dug a new hole, set the now shortened post with the mailbox into the hole so I could receive my mail.
    Trouble was the next day my mail carrier wouldn't leave my mail because the box was now below regulation height. And the UPS guy with his promise? I never saw him again.
    And so it goes...

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Bamabww
    Trouble was the next day my mail carrier wouldn't leave my mail because the box was now below regulation height
    Dig a hole for the mailman to stand in.

Perrybee that is a nice saw you have there sliding table panel saw with a shaper or just a router mount with removable rings? It's rusting cause I'm drooling over it!

A friend sent some honey samples in glass jars to a prospective client in Toronto and he used CanPar because there sales man told him his goods were insured against breakage. boxed up with labels THIS SIDE UP, FRAGILE, GLASS, HANDLE WITH CARE. In neon pink on every surface. When they arrived they were broken, honey oozing out of the box, everything sticky. The guy let him know the condition they were in when they arrived so he called CanPar about insurance and they told him it would be no problem. He just had to submit a honey sample pack to them and if it passed the DROP TEST they would cover the cost. He asked Drop Test? he was told because they use conveyers the package has to be able to with stand falling of the conveyer! so to pass the drop test, they drop the package 5 times from 3 ft and if the content stays intact it was packed well enough and would be insured.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

ApisBees: Wish I could sat that shop was mine, but it's not. It belongs to a German cabinet maker friend of mine.
    Here is my workshop! :shock:
    Hope to build one soon, a combo workshop-honeyhouse.
    As far as the "drop test".................just scratched CanPar off my list! :roll:

Attached Files:

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That looks like mine Perry! I'm hoping to get a garage built this fall or next sprnig. Down here in the south, we try to do things under a tree. That's where the phrase "shade-tree mechanic" came from. (probably shady character, too!)

But when we get done, we've got it made in the shade! :)

17. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good thing for picnic tables, with out them we would get nothing done. Perry why build when you can use someone else? I know the rent is to high with having to pay him in beer! you did say he was German.