the NOT for sale posting..

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by tecumseh, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have started getting calls from various folks I have previously sold nuc, brood and queens to so for everyone's information I am posting this thread...

I will NOT be providing any nucs or queens this year due to the unavailability of II queens to graft from (I use to obtain these from Glenn Apiaries but they have ceased to function). since I found about this circumstance late last fall I went and pre sold all available brood I will have in a single bulk sale to one buyer. I will be trying someone else II stock starting the late part of the spring and if this new source of stock proves itself I will once again offer queens up for sale.

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks for the heads up Tec.

Not For Sale...is this a new strain? Apis-NotForSaleIs?

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I believe this is just the beginning of the impact Glenn Apiaries shutting down will have on the availability of quality queens. To some degree I wish that whee those bees went was being reported. Best of luck with your new sources of queens Tech. I am also very interested in knowing what you find out about the next beast source as well. I have a list with several breeders on it that I was thinking of checking out by trial and error.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

No Sale

Tec, I hope things go your way. :)

Perhaps you should post these signs in the meantime. :D

no sale 01.jpg no sale 02.jpg

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

[TABLE="class: msgbodyPlainTextWrap, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]this is the new source I will be using come late spring...www.vpqueenbees.comas I have at least suggested this is a new source for me so we shall see how that goes. it is my understanding via a email from Glenn Apiary that some of Glenn stock has now been acquired by the above firm.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Tec, they are on my list as breeder queen suppliers as well. Possibly very well number one. My top list in alphabetical order not in order of preference would also include
    Bob Danka, Joe Latshaw, Marla Spivak and Susan Cobey. All are not only experienced queen breeders but are also concidered some of the top II producers and at least two have degrees in entomology. Joe and Susan. I have no idea of there current situation in producing queens. Susan is a firm leader in the promotion and education of II.

I cannot say just how well any of the above tend to their quality of queens produced issues. Tom Glenn was also in my files as a queen source. Which of course I now need to remove.

At the time I made my list Adam was not included in it. It took me a while longer to get a better picture of who he is and what he is doing. I know of him through his group VSH Breeders and have since decided he is a good choice to fill the vacancy Tom left behind.
    Those are the 5 I prefer to eventually purchase queens from. all 5 in order to have the mating yard I woudl like to have. Cross breeding through open mating bees from 5 of the best I can find.

My whole plan had the rug pulled out from under it when my wife decided to go back to school this summer. I was hoping to spend my first summer learning to graft and rear queens as well as purchase my II equipment. that is all on hold now. Unless I decide to go get a second job.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the input DanielY. I have more information of the women on the list than the men. Latshaw looks like one of those names I should recognize, but not Danka at all???

I have enjoyed producing a few Cordovans for the hobby crowd here. So far they have worked out well for that crowd and I like the idea of at least controlling 50% of the genetics from using an II queen.

if you have some base stock???? I would suggest you first find some method of queen rearing that your like, learn to graft and finally figure out how to keep bees alive in very little boxes. All three is a pretty large order... and to be truthful being somewhat self trained in the process myself it took me much longer that one season to get a good grasp of all three.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

One of the guys in my bee club has 8 hives of Cordovans Tec. Don't know if he's going to make queens or just honey.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Gypsi.... I have a good number of Cordovans made over the past several years out there somewhere in various out yards but I have learned (from a very ugly incident some years ago that I will not repeat here or any other site... which should give you some idea of how really really ugly things can get in keeping bees) that rearing queens in this manner is subject to such a large risk that I am just not willing to go there. Most especially since I try to raise a small number of queens for people just starting up I have very defined ideas of what will and will not work in the circumstance.

ps... imho the Cordovan honeybee is the world's pretties bee and as Jay Smith suggest long ago 'if you cannot do anything else then at least produce a pretty bee'.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I know they are pretty. I went into my hot hive, the don't go within 10 feet and don't think about opening the lid without taping every glove/sleeve opening, to kill the queen last summer. And she was a beautiful cordovan. Her offspring however were hotter than a firecracker, so I saved my crying for after I killed her. I do know they can be hot.

11. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Know what you mean Gypsi. Last 2 Cordovans I got were producing hot bees. We are finally getting most of that trait out and will keep II'n till we get something worth selling.

12. rail

rail New Member

The Cordovan queens that I received from Koehnen produced gentle blonde bees! They are in Northern California, what part of the States did you get your Cordovans Larry?