the number one injury to beekeeps

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Dec 4, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I attended the bi annual Kansas beekeepers associating meeting awhile back. We had a gentleman that is a Dr and Brother in law to jerry brown who happens to be richard adees nephew give a talk on beekeeing related injuries. How many of you knew the number one injury requiring medical attention from a Dr was heat related. heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and dehydration. I figured it would have been back injury.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My first guess would have been back injury as well but now thinking about it, I'm not surprised.
    I know when it's hot out that when I take my suit off I'm as soaked as you can get without jumping in a pool.
    One morning this past summer I weighed myself in my birthday suit :oops: (don't think about it), suited up and worked the bees just before noon. I was out and back in a hair over 2 1/2 hours and when I got home I weighed myself (same conditions) and I had dropped a shade over 3 pounds! :shock:
    I'm not the biggest guy around (5'10" - 190 lbs.) so it's not like I have tons to lose, well maybe..... :mrgreen:
    For all you folks looking to drop weight (biggest loser, etc.) have I got a challenge for you.

Perry

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dehydration? although my first guess would be the same as Perry.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would have guessed back troubles and then dehydrating. I sweat something fierce anyway and have to really watch myself, In the summer I will always have a large styrofoam cup with lid and straw (think mcdonalds ice tea or chick-fil-a tea) very close by at all times with ice water in it. It is not uncommon to down 2 1/2 gallons of water during the day in summer and never go to the bathroom until later in the evening. Keep the powered gatorade in the truck also to mix up some eletrolites every now and then also. Sip, sip, sip all day long, and yes you can get a drink through a bee veil.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I posted this as i find it interesting. Its something I never really though about until he brought it up then thought about how much since it made

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I wouldn't have guessed it either until the first summer we had bees. I spent a couple of days wondering why i kept getting extra dizzy in the beeyard :doh:

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm guessing most back injuries fall in the category of "colorful language, followed by several weeks of taking it easy while griping," and not in the "needs medical attention" category.

On hot summer days, I usually chug a full bottle of water before putting on the veil. But I only have 2 hives...

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm a heavy sweater, working in the truck garden i'll have sweat dripping off the brim of my hat, you can ring the sweat out of the bill of my hat. My two bee yards here at home are within 10ft to 300ft. of all six garden plots and i'll have as many as a dozen bees drinking sweat off my body at one time :roll: . When i work my bees my wife has to help peel my bee suite off me, every stitch of clothes i have on is soaking wet. Like G3 i keep the gatorade co. in business and drink lots of water. I can see where over heating could be number one. Jack

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat writes:
    Its something I never really though about

tecumseh:
    your back must be in better shape than mine? if you came to Texas and worked bees for even one spring time season the dehydration becomes a real obvious limitation to everything requiring human labor.

I have long forgotten the number of times employers told me that they were sending me some strapping young fellow from North Dakota or Minnesota and how much they could get accomplished. By noon time the strapping young man looked as if they needed medical attention.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I can see that Tec, when working in the heat you need to be slow and methodical, make every step count. We were on a job several years ago, addition on an existing building, huge hole in the ground for the basement of the equipment, with about 20 mexicans down there tying up rebar and they started falling out like flies. It was hot to say the least.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

G3 writes:
    with about 20 mexicans down

tecumseh:
    all legal I would guess??? If NO then the taxpayer (via medicade) got stuck with their medical bill.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Legal, doubt it.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sure they was legal they all was named jim and had the same social security number. Not sure why but Im guessing we need to open an federal inquiry into the social security department. They are having a terrrible time with there system when it comes to issueing mexicans social security numbers

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yeah, Social Security is collecting money on millions of accounts that they will never have to pay on. Helps with the deficit.

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

actually I would have thought besides the back, knee and hip problems--but dehydration as a after thought would seem obvious as would ANY heat related issue. Was carrying out from back of a corn field one at a time about 10 full depth supers of honey, that I injuried my knees a bit recovered abut then thought better about carrying all that weight again following season after that I drove to the hives lol

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I like to get my tailgate up real close to the hives barry. never did like that lugging heavy stuff over distance routine and now I am just too old. the ac in my truck and a large cold bottle of gator aid is my best remedies when it comes to dehydration.

this year I am toying with the idea of setting up a shop type fan in the bed of my truck just to insure a good breeze to cool me off in-bee-tyne.

17. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I wouldn't have thought it was the most common ( I wouldda thought backs as well, which is why I started out taking precautions to lighten up the hive bodies so I wouldn't have to lift as much ), yet I have come very close to collapsing from the heat before I gained a healthy respect for it. Now I take a bottle of ice-cold gatorade with me when I have to suit-up just in case I need it. I have a little tiny mini-fridge in the truck that keeps it nice and cold for me too.

18. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

A little info for you guys and dolls. If your ears start ringing even a little while out in the heat, I was told by the medical profession this is you on the verge of heat stroke.

I heed this sign myself, at least now, as I've had the ringing countless times, right after that, you feel like you are in a sound chamber.

Not as young as I use to be.

Plenty of fluids and mini breaks now, lol!

No, seriously though, I use to hump it but now I listen to the signs and try to take breaks before the signs.

Protect yourself folks.

...JP

19. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wait, do bee-stings count?

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, they are therapy, not injury... :p :D