The Price of OJ Going Up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slowmodem, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The FDA is halting the importation of ALL orange juice. I'm sure the price will go up.

Story here.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Fungicides now getting into our foods.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, we went to the store this afternoon and bought some. So I'll be a little bit ahead, I suppose.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a really good time to have some money in orange juice futures.

I do hope everyone read the last paragraph in regards to apple and grape juice.

eventually the lid will be pulled from the latrine can and folks will come to know the dirty little secret about how much of their food, importing from somewhere far away, is somewhat to highly tainted. the improper notion that food from elsewhere is subject to the same standard as here (which was never that rigorous either) will be turned on it's head. on the other hand... perhaps it is a bit of karma for all the like kind stuff we sold all over the world??

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Beelieve it or not, this topic was disallowed over on beesource forum. I don't know why, they didn't say. It's not controversial or political. I just thought people might want to go out and buy some OJ before the price went up. Also, I thought some of those statistics were staggering and surprising.

This story is also showing up on Yahoo news and CNN and other mainstream places now.

If the ban on imports lasts a while, it will ( I assume) mean a larger demand on Florida products, which (I also assume) is a good thing for residents and workers (and another assumption, maybe beekeepers).

And true, there may be more than OJ affected before it's over. Good catch, tecumseh. :thumbsup:

6. Omie

Omie New Member

One (small) good thing about it is that this may also make for more rigorous testing on our own US juice/fruit crops, and this will make it more likley that farmers will start being extra careful about how/what they apply to their fruit crops- always a good thing to be careful!

Slowmodem- can't say this news made me want to rush out to buy orange juice... =8-* lol! Think I'll stick to my US-grown organic carrot juice, thank you. ;D

7. rast

rast New Member

May I humbly disagree. I also know the taste of crow very well I might add :( . When the news reaches the general public (us), 90% of the time the price has already been factored in by the traders (insider early knowledge). the march and may futures jumped (emotion) and then started on a decline (realization of US supply perhaps). Currently we only import about 15-20% of OJ. OJ is also very volatile due to a small number of professional traders.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Really? Disallowed? Maybe it was in the wrong Forum? Not T'gater or Coffee Klatch.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

On food, I really wish they would investigate using things like vinegar as a fungicide, but it seems people only think something works if it has a long chemical-sounding name.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

There is a long chemical-sounding name for vinegar. It isn't acedacilic acid is it? Someone out there knows. tec? iddee?

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, how do you squeeze juice out of a carrot. :confused: Jack

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I started this thread in this area:

then I copied the text and started this thread here on this forum. So it was exactly like what is here. I don't know why they deleted it. To me, it's as relevant (if not more) than football, or elk hunting, or statin drugs. ::shrug::

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

On Beesource, it's not what you post, but who you kiss up to.

Not too long, Sqkcrk, it's acetic acid

14. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ok. :eek: Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

15. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Have you looked for it lately? It is still there. I posted on it this morning. No one Deleted anything.

Acetic acid. Yeah, not very long.

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Not there now. That's ok. It's no biggie. Don't worry about it.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, Sqkcrk, can you post a link to it?

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Don't know how.

beesource.com "The Price Of OJ Going UP?" in the Talgater Forum. That's where it is. About 6 Posts.

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

(I changed the email address)

Interesting that I can't see the my own post.

OK. This is getting way off topic. I'll not say anymore about the other forum. I did learn some things, though. I think I'll go have some orange juice. :drinks:

20. Omie

Omie New Member

Well i think it is a very bee-relevant subject in any case!