Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
snip...
*for most folks some state wide average on honey yield would likely give you a good ball park number that you could easily convert into the size and number of supers required for your particular area.

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Just general ideas on these topics so that I at least have some idea of what I need to look for.

Thanks, Elaine in East Texas.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
elaine,
i am still a tall stacker....:lol:
with that said, you are in texas, a different climate and different flow than the midwest. tec and other texans can give you better advice or ideas about what you would need for supers and their methods in central texas. some folks in different areas of wisconsin do not produce near the honey that my girls do, so i don't fit into the average honey yield for my state, but a good start for newer keeps, many variables. i think in your introduction you said you had two hives? do you plan to increase your hive numbers? i would encourage any new keep to have a certain amount of extra honey supers on hand. you might post a thread asking that question from the beeks in texas as to what you need, or wait for an answer here. again, a warm welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a snip..
Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Just general ideas on these topics so that I at least have some idea of what I need to look for.

Thanks, Elaine in East Texas.

tecumseh:
for much of east Texas 50 pounds per hive of surplus is a good target. if you are located in a place (Cleveland may or may not apply) and are close to the tallow double that number on a modest year and perhaps triple it on a good year.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts