the rat says tis the season for new keeps

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Dec 3, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Right now is the prime time for new beekeeps while the more experience keep is enjoying a couple months of easy going the new keep should be in full swing working to get ready for spring there is books to read. equipment to order, forums to become part of, bees to order, books to read, finding a good spot to put the bees, forums to read, hives to paint etc. oh did i mention to read :D With that said lets try to help the new keeps out. If you was to do it over again starting out what would you do different if given a chance.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Many things, but first and foremost, I would visit a local beek when he was going into his hives. If I had a veil, I would offer to help him with whatever he was doing that day.

More Later..............

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

All of the above and find a bee club close by :thumbsup: . The info you can get these days can save you alot of problems and money.I ordered my bees,hives, and bought a 13th edition of Starting Right with bees book from Sears & Roebuck in 1964. couldn't afford a bee suite after all that, so i went to the army surplus store bought a mosquitoe net, i already had a straw hat, flannel shirt, overall's and a pair of brown jersey gloves and my hive tool was a screwdriver.I did have a mentor (my barber) he got me interested in bees. Beekeeping was easy in those days, but if i had it to do over again I'D BUY A BEE SUITE FIRST. and eouipment later. :lol: You'd be surprised how fast you can come out of a pair of overall's on the run when the bees find a way in. :mrgreen: Jack

4. Roadstar

Roadstar New Member

My Wife and I are new Beeks, and we have been doing all of the things riverrat mentioned. I have been busy in my Woodworking shop building hive components, and will continue that as the winter wears on. We ordered our first package of Bees a couple of weeks ago, and they are scheduled for pickup the first part of April. Our orders of supplies arrived this week..........frames, suits, smoker, hive tools, feeders, and other assorted essentials to get us started. We have been reading books, and are looking forward to our first local Bee Club Meeting in January. Last but not least, we have been spending lots of time reading the information on the forums, and other internet sources. We are fortunate to have a friend that has been keeping Bees for many years, and he knows what does and doesn't work in our area of the country. He has been an invaluable source of information, and has helped a lot so far.

I am like a kid at Christmas, waiting to hive that first package in April! :Dancing:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It sounds like you have it all together. That's good to hear. I see so many just buy bees and think they can learn as they go. Then get disgusted and quit when they lose them. You sound like you have prepared well.

PS. One thing I would recommend. You didn't say how many hives worth of bees you ordered, but I would start with two. Many times you can save, or boost one with the other. If you only have one, the first problem can put you out of business.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

roadstar I sure wished other people getting into bees had your drive and determination and taking the time to read but most imorotant of what you said was a mentor they are priceless. You are on the right track my friend good luck :goodpost:

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Roadstar, i see it's to late to warn you about this disease, and from reading your post i see it is spreading, but don't worry you can live with it. You can save alot of money by making your own equipment and the bees don't care what it looks like or what color it is, as long as it's weather proof (keeps the rain and snow out). There's some smart beekeepers on this forum that can answer your questions if you have any, and there are some who have taken to many hits to the head :mrgreen: . They will be the ones who disagree with my answers to questions. :lol: Good luck with your new hobby,it looks like your going at it the right way, :thumbsup: Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a riverrat snip..
    If you was to do it over again starting out what would you do different if given a chance.

tecumseh:
    I did it perfect the first time so why would I want to do anything differently? <enter your favorite funny face here.

at this point I will disagree with my bro Iddee and tell you 3 is a perfect and a PRIME number.

my largest suggestion is: do not look at content in printed material the same as the information you obtain on the net. to some degree the content of books is reviewed by peers and deemed accurate. there is a lot of whimsical thinking on the net produced by folks who possible have little to no experience and (if you profile their net activity) way too much time on their hands.

roadstar writes:
    We are fortunate to have a friend that has been keeping Bees for many years, and he knows what does and doesn't work in our area of the country. He has been an invaluable source of information, and has helped a lot so far.

tecumseh:
    at the very center of what really matters beekeeping (from what I can tell and wherever I have practiced the craft) is very local in it's implementation. the above is the most valuable resource you have in your grasp at this time.

and good luck...

9. Roadstar

Roadstar New Member

Thank you all for the words of approval, and encouragement. It is appreciated more than you know! :D
    We are following the advice of our friend and starting with one hive, but after several folks suggested starting with 2, we are considering ordering another package and doing that. We want to make sure we afford ourselves every chance for success, and I think we owe that to the Bees, at the very least. I have enough supplies for 2 hives, I just need to build a few more hive bodies and supers, but I was going to do that anyway. Thank you again for the "food for thought", we have a couple of things to consider before spring!
    Here are some pictures of my hive components I built:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Looks good, although i don't use the gable roof on mine (flat lid) i have seen them on other post and have wondered if the attic was open, or had a flat board nailed to the bottom. :confused: The bottom board looks good too, was it made from cedar? Jack

11. Roadstar

Roadstar New Member

Thanks Jack, I appreciate the kind words. I built a couple of telescoping, flat covers, and I was fine with them. The Wife wanted something a bit more fancy for the girls, so I built a gable top. I have the bottom enclosed with a board, so it is essentially a standard flat cover by design, with the gables added for appearance only. ( I figured if I left the attic area open, the bees would have a heyday building comb in there, and I didn't want THAT mess to deal with. )

The bottom board is Cedar. I wanted to see how well it will weather as opposed to pine. It is much more rot resistant than pine, so hopefully I get some good service from it. I had the good fortune to be able to purchase a couple of hundred board feet of 4/4 rough Cedar a couple of years ago. For the .50 per board foot I have in it, I thought I would use it for bottom boards.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The cedar bottom board will be interesting to see what they do.

I knew a guy who made 10 frames with cedar and put the super on a strong hive. Then a normal super on top. The bees never put a drop of wax on the cedar in two years. They would go above it and use the top super, while the queen and brood stayed below. After two years, he removed it. The frames were just as clear of wax as the day he installed it.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

nice looking hive my wife would shoot me if I housed my bees in a condo like that. after all she dont even get shoes or glass in the winders. Im with iddee on the cedar bottom board. makes good sense to build it out of cedar insects dont like cedar if bees will tolerate it and the ants wont. you may have solved a big problem in beekeeping. This is a great example of why I like forums and new keeps chiming in it breaks the paradigm we all seem to fall into. Keep us up to date on how that works you might just be onto something.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The cedar bottom board may be like my kitchen table, i use it alot but i stay mainly in other rooms of the house. :mrgreen: I hope my wife doesn't see the picture of your hives, she will want the bee yard close to the house looking like that. :roll: Jack

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And if'n th' wife wants it, th' wife gets it. :lol:

16. Roadstar

Roadstar New Member

The thought about the Cedar having a negative effect on the Bees crossed my mind before I used Cedar for the bottom board, but I found several sources for woodenware that offer boxes built with Cedar. When I decided to give it a try on the bottom boards, I decided to just use Cedar for the parts of the BB that are exposed to the weather the most. That being the frame of the BB, and the board that protrudes from the front of the hive body. I used pine for the majority of the bottom board, in case the Bees protest the Cedar. If the Cedar helps keep any bugs away besides the Bees, it's a good thing. If not, then I have a couple all pine boards at the ready for replacements. Here's a shot of the bottom board I am describing. Hopefully, it works good........if not, it's another lesson learned!

[​IMG]

17. Roadstar

Roadstar New Member

Truer words have never been spoken my friend! :mrgreen:

Besides.............if Momma ain't happy......................you know the rest! ;)

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

very nice pictures. thanks for sharing.

I like the cleats (vs carved handholds). I use these (one piece the entire width of the hive) even on my manufactured boxes.

ps .... we had a fellow give a talk at our bee club that sold cedar oil which he used as a natural insecticide (insect repellant would perhaps be more accurate).

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Here at my house, I'm The King and This is My Castle, (what i say goes). I let my wife help with the honey processing because she loves honey. I won't let her near my bee yards, she made me mad when she said my bees were little and ugly and they hurt people,She's the best wife a beekeeper and truck gardener could ask for,but she knows her place. She also don't know how to access this forum, and the king's not going to show her.So she probably will never see Roadstar's hives.:lol: Jack

20. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Sorry Jack I sent a christmas card to your castle addressed to your little lady inviting her to sign up for beekeepingforums.com. On the invite I mentioned she and you could have some wonderful together time in the evenings. Mailed it this morning then I read this. :rolling: