The stranger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iddee, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our
    small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting
    newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly
    accepted and was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind,
    he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom
    taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger.... he
    was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with
    adventures, mysteries and comedies.

If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always
    knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed
    able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball
    game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped
    talking, but Dad didn't seem to mind.

Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing
    each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen
    for peace and quiet.

(I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger
    never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed
    in our home - not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our long time
    visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made
    my dad squirm and my mother blush. My Dad didn't permit the liberal use of
    alcohol but the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made
    cigarettes look cool, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked
    freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant,
    sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing..

I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced
    strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents,
    yet he was seldom rebuked.... And NEVER asked to leave..

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our
    family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at
    first. Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you would still
    find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him
    talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name?....

We just call him 'TV.'

He has a wife now....we call her 'Computer.'

Their first child is named 'Cell Phone'

Their second's name is 'Ipod'

(Note: This should be required reading for every household!)

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

blow up your tv,
    throw away your paper,
    go to the country,
    build you a home,
    have a lot of children,
    feed on peaches
    let'em find jesus
    on their own.

John Prine

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I was at Sam's Club recently and a couple young men wanted to ask me some survey questions. They asked if I had cable or satellite TV. I said "Neither." They looked a bit surprised and asked if I had an HD-TV or a converter box. I said "Neither." They were flabbergasted. I explained there was no TV reception where I lived, so other than an occasional movie from the library or Netflix, the TV sat unused in the corner.

I don't think they would have been more surprised if I had told them I was from Mars. But we are one weird family: my kids actually read books; we talk; play games; have hobbies. My kids aren't neanderthals - they have iPhones and iPods and are technologically current. We just enjoy life without TV.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

indypartridge:
    Same at my house. Really lousy reception, don't have cable down my road, and ain't gonna pay for sat. tv. Don't miss it a bit. I can watch about anything I need on the internet.

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Good post; I admit I didnt see the answer coming! I haven't watched TV for 25 years aside from a few times I was part of a captive audience. Presently we dont have a working TV in the house. It has been a tremendous waste of a potentially valuable resource.
    The computer is my vice but also most connection to what is going on in the world.
    As for the addiction to the rest of the devices, pathetic to see!

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a trend forms?

I have a tv here at the house and we like to watch an occasional rental movie. I watch NO broadcast or cable tv.

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

tec: a trend forms? I like that 'cause it seems so.
    Iddee: I would like to borrow that and re-post it elsewhere.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when I was a young man my dad drove me and one of my high school class mates to the University of Florida. after unloading my little bit of stuff into my dorm room my dad took me aside and gave me a bit of advice. he told me that if I wanted to succeed at furthering my education that the best thing I could do was to give up watching the tv since it was such a sponge for your time. I must say I haven't missed the tv at all.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

gunsmith, it's just an email I received. It's open for anyone to use.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I've seen this before...and I love it. Thanks for posting this Iddee, I hadn't seen it in awhile and every time I read it I am reminded of why our family has made the conscious decisions that have and maintain the standards that we have.

We don't watch tv with the odd exception of the news if we are expecting a weather event or something is going on that we want to be updated on...and that we usually do online. We have tv for the occasional video and to augment our book studies for homeschooling...other than that we have no use for the thing. I will say though that when doing something that requires us to sit still for lengthy amounts of time we will gladly watch a video while our hands are busy with something else....redeeming the time so to speak. Internet for us somehow seems easier to control, both in terms of content and time.

Cell phones...we have them, we use them primarily so that when our family is separated we can still converse and keep our communication fairly fluid. My kids don't surf the net with a phone, nor do any of us constantly text all of our friends or forward texts as so many folks do with email jokes or the modern version of chain mail. The cell providers don't make much on our family ;)

Addiction in any form is a sad thing to see. Time...that is the one thing we have that is irreplaceable imho, and I'm awful strict with my family about how we spend ours. I have no desire to waste my time on tv series, tv sports, tv reality shows, internet stuff that serves no purpose, or spent with people who can't be respectful of our beliefs and standards. Too many people live life bumper car style....just go in a direction that looks fun until they hit a wall and then go in another random direction...what a sad waste!

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I think tecumseh is right about a trend. Those of us who do the "down to earth" things-beekeeping, gardening, etc., Don't have much use for the babble that comes out of the thing.

13. Walt B

Walt B New Member

OK, I'll talk, I admit it...I watch TV! :oops:

I regularly watch the local news, Masterpiece Theatre, Antiques Roadshow, and probably a couple of others.

Can't really say I've watched a new series since the mid-nineties. Don't have cable or satellite, but did get a converter box (bought the TV in the early 70's).

But, there is something nice and quiet about reading a book with some music in the background. And, the best baseball game you'll ever see is listening to it on the radio. :)

Walt

14. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

iddee, you have a way w/ words. At least I assume you wrote that yourself.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nope, I get most of the tidbits in emails. I don't have the patience to "one finger type" that long a story. I just post the ones that mirror my feelings or are humorous.