The sweet smell of dirty socks

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I put fresh syrup on the hives 2 days ago and noted an odd and faintly sour odor. Then i went to work and fell off a hill and sprained my foot. I have a funny feeling I need to get supers on a couple of hives that were pretty full. Hoping my foot will fit in my bee boots today. It is a class 3 sprain, what you get when all of the weight of your body is hanging off the hill your toes are stuck on and they fold over. Good thing I had shoes on, I can't imagine the fall without them.

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Stinky up here in NJ too!
    If hives are full of Goldenrod why feed syrup?
    Are some hives full and others not?
    If supers are on while feeding syrup won't the honey supers potentially get diluted with sugar?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Gypsi hopefully your foot only turns out to be a little sore and you haven't torn any tenons or ligaments that talk a long time to heal. My prescription Sit with your foot up and hang out at beekeepingforums.com Catch up on all the old posts and answer all the questions the newer beekeepers are asking. Hope your foot is feeling better.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

It looks like our Goldenrod is starting a second round of blooming. We had a cooler august than usual and got some rain early. Goldenrod bloomed and has faded.
    I was worried it was to early, but now there is whole new round that is just starting to bloom and its everywhere. We have rain coming tonight.

Maybe its a different variety?

I'm glad to see it.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I got a Tens treatment Thursday and I'm actually getting around pretty well. Bad sprain, but not permanent damage I hope. My therapist told me to walk on it. I have been, not fast, not climbing waterfalls, but flat ground and walk dogs. Haven't opened the hives yet, I don't feel quite up to it. I'm taking an Aleve in the morning and another at bedtime.

My 8 ft tall goldenrod in my pond area sent out new bloom shoots even tho the tops went to seed back in late August, and are just blooming away. Didn't get much rain this week, but my garden has some stuff in bloom where I water, so the bees are getting by, lots of traffic and bringing in light yellow pollen.

I do not have supers on, and they are taking syrup. All of my hives got their wax pulled and their honey stripped off in May due to EFB, so they are still rebuilding. I think they might be ready for supers in a day or 2 but I have no drawn comb for them, I feed syrup to get wax drawn in a near-dearth. I got 1/4 inch of rain yesterday, we have a significant drought and except for some ragweed in the low ground in my area and the goldenrod and flowers in my garden, there really isn't much to support them and get them stocked up for winter