The Trap Out Target

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 15, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The Trap Out Target-Initiated

Okay...I think I am ready to try my first trap out...I have read the trap out stickies and have a target...actually two, but will start on the lower one at the bottom left corner of the window first and then the one that is about 15 feet up on the side of the house.

The window trim will most likely necessitate the need for an extra piece of ply-wood under the trap out board to adjust for the unevenness on the right side. I am fairly certain these are two different hives considering the construction of the home.

Any suggestions, tips or thoughts? Can bees actually eat through pink board and stucco? Wow! Also, is it absolutely necessary to remove combs from the walls after the bees are gone? Or, can the hole be patched up and that's the end of it? Last question...would it be foolish to sacrifice a frame of eggs (I almost said brood Iddee....ha!) from my very new hives at home? Or just leave this trap out alone? None of my deeps are drawn out more than 6 frames. Here are some pics and a 9 sec video...

Special note to Iddee: I just answered my question about the comb in the wall by watching your video...on a side note, I have laughed till my belly hurt when you were moving those boxes next the tree and you were narrating your steps and then in the middle of it, you say your removing a stinger from your ear...ha! You didn't skip a beat...hehe

DSCF5476.jpg DSCF5477.jpg DSCF5479.jpg DSCF5480.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si87qGybqiA

2. melrose

melrose New Member

Where did you find Iddee's video.
    I have FIVE! trap outs planned. One is in progress, can't get the comb because they're in cinder blocks.
    The others are yet to be seen, but probably will have to leave the comb behind.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

4. pturley

pturley New Member

"Trap out" then "Rob-out" should leave behind brittle dry comb. Wax moths should reduce this in fairly short order after that...

Here is a thread I posted last year, also after reading all of the stickies and watching the Youtube videos.

(All excellent stuff from Iddee to be sure!)

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/4126-OK-which-works-better-with-a-Trap-out

Good luck with yours. I have two yet to do this spring myself.

One is a repeat of the sycamore tree from last year. The homeowners never sealed up the tree cavity and a new swarm moved in a couple weeks ago. I need to get on this as the longer I wait, the longer it will take to get them out!

The second is the fallen willow tree on a friends property. I might do this as a cut out instead (to try to get the feral queen). Problem is, the tree is absolutely enormous (4 feet in diameter!). None of us have a saw long enough to properly cut into this thing!

5. melrose

melrose New Member

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Whaddya say Iddee, me on one end, you on the other? (Of course our travel would have to be covered).:wink:

Don't forget your cameras fellas, pictures and videos are greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I spent my time on those things in my younger years. Don't plan to go back.

Remember, if you use one, always pull, never push.

8. pturley

pturley New Member

Is that an offer to let me borrow that? I'd be starting the cut-out tomorrow if that were the case!

9. melrose

melrose New Member

Nah... just trying to fit in.
    I saw an opening and made a jab... :razz:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"just trying to fit in"? :shock:

Waddaya mean, you're family here melrose! :thumbsup:

11. melrose

melrose New Member

I felt that within a couple posts, it's like sittin' around the camp fire pokin' fun at each other.
    Best forum I've been on, from sleddin', trucks to bees. Can I get an :amen:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:amen: :thumbsup:

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Melrose, You get mine too..:amen: :clapping:

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Okay...I did it, my first trap out...in fact, two on the same house! The window was difficult and like playing a game of tetris filling in the gaps because of the terrain of the frame, wall and rotten portions. I had to resort to stuffing old cloth behind the board. I will go back later and amend it somehow. I think it will work for now. The high wall location was pretty easy because the wall was flat. I screwed the cone on and caulked it. The only hard part was holding on to the ladder and building the frame up there. I am not a huge fan of heights. It was hot and I found out I had to work quickly once the cone went on...oh brother did the bees start piling up, wow!!! The bees were going in and out of the nucs but there were still several bees flying around a couple of hours later. I thought it was odd that a mass of bees, most with full pollen baskets, were congregating on the blacktop near the window nuc. I am just not experienced enough to know what is and isn't normal with these. A big fat thank you to IDDEE for his video and all the rest of you for posting your trap outs...I reviewed ZULU's threads pretty well too. I have to tell ya, swarm catching is a lot easier, whew! I will be sure to report back with the progress...
    0518121100b.jpg 0518121129a.jpg 0518121131.jpg

Attached Files:

15. pturley

pturley New Member

Unfortunately, the work is just started... A really strong hive will have a nuc brimming with bees in a matter of days. You will need to keep checking in on it for the first couple of weeks.

(If I recall, IDDEE once posted that he filled seven and 1/2 deeps off of ONE TRAP-OUT colony!)

If these colonies have been there a while (as evidenced by them bearding in one of your earlier posts), you might need to consider mounting 10 frame deeps on these stands. It does look like you'll have the room to do so.

Did you include a frame of eggs in each or will you be adding these a day or two later after they've balled up under the cone a bit?

Great pics of the installation!

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great pics Dave: :thumbsup:
    Everything looks pretty good, well done. That lower one must have been difficult with the plywood out from the wall so far.
    The two gatherings of bees, one lower on the wall from the upper trap-out (another entrance?), and the one on the driveway, did you check them out? I was thinking (dangerous) that possibly this colony is throwing afterswarms? Seems strange to see them on the driveway like that. :confused:

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Paul, NO, the most I have gotten was 4 ten frame and a nuc.

Dave, they are getting back in on the window trap. Find the holes and block them. The longer you wait the harder they will try to find another.

Other than that, they both look good.

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

On my drive home I thought about the huge amount of bees I saw and wondered if that little nuc would hold them, ha! I had not read that about 7-1/2 deeps! Wow! I may have to consider using deeps then. I supplied a frame with queen cells on it and some eggs in the window nuc. I provided a really weak frame for the wall nuc. It only had a few capped brood and very little eggs. I may have to dig deeper in my very new bee yard to find some good frames. Thanks for all your feedback....I figured this was going to be a chore...:shock:

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee...I will get that shored up at the window....that trap out was where experience would have been very beneficial.

Perry, I wondered about them swarming too. I went back later and didn't see the same pattern..because, I thought they had found another hole too. That house is very old and there could be cracks anywhere. I agree about the bees on the drive...I was thinking what the heck you silly bees...

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Just checked on my trap outs after 2nd day. The yellow nuc location seems to be isolated to that one entrance and the bees are clustering on the cone board and nuc. They are going in and out of nuc.

The bees are pouring in and out of the white nuc near the window but I discovered the crafty little girls have found another entrance on the on the bottom right corner. I plan on filling that spot with foam after shift today. I shored the gaps behind the cone board the first day and that seemed to help.

yellow nuc 5-20.JPG white nuc.jpg