The "what plant is this" thread

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Gypsi, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll start. I know it's a nightshade, I know it's not henbane, which I used to have, but it is all over the apiary. I've patiently waited for it to come in bloom to see if bees like it, plants are about 3 ft tall and stalky. Here is a pic: 2nd question: do bees like it? doesn't seem to have enough blooms for decent forage, but only one bloom has opened that I see.

Attached Files:

2. Gypsi

This stuff has come up all over my lot where last year I had henbane (http://www.birds-n-garden.com/wf/640_silver-leaf_nightshade.jpg)

I left the silvery leaved monster thinking it was henbane, which the bees worked. And I have 4 ft plants with nearly invisible white blooms that the bees don't seem to be working. Figured I'd find out what it was before I pulled it out and bagged it.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2035.jpg

What plants are these?
    The white flowers smell really good anf the fragrance is strong.
    The yellow/orange flowers not so much.

Bees are all over both.

4. Gypsi

I think I have one of the white one, but
    I don't know what it is. Yellow looks
    Familiar. On the bright side my mystery
    Was solved by the bee inspector.
    Goat weed. I'm pulling and bagging.

5. Gypsi

Is this a beebee tree?

I thought it was an overgrown nandina (lacking a sample of a nandina last fall) and topped it, so it didn't bloom. Was just about to have my neighbor cut it down for firewood....

Stems between leaflets are green, not red.

Attached Files:

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The white blooms are sweet autumn clematis. That's the only clematis to bloom in the fall and it will reseed itself easily. This time of year, around here, one can see how it has reseeded itself all over the city. My bees are not interested in it this year. We have had such a dry summer, and since Hurricane Issac, a little rain. Crab apples, pears and magnolia trees are blooming now.

7. srvfantexasflood

Can anyone recognize this perennial? It's about 3 1/5-4 ft tall and it flopped over onto some other native plants. It appears to have some type of mildew problem on the leaves. bees and cars 004.jpg It is just now in bloom in late Sept., but that one can't be sure that this is it's normal bloom period. As I explained in the last post, our weather is quite unusual this year. I probably planted it because it was attractive to bees. This flower bed is devoted to attracting bees, birds and other pollinators.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Looks like some type of wild aster to me.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i would agree with omie, it is an aster, novae-angliae, quite possibly a new england variety, called 'chilly winds' ?

10. Gypsi

I planted those asters, but none came up. (april showers germinate seeds and ours went elsewhere, I dunno where.)

11. Gypsi

I want some of that autumn clematis - and it might do ok here. Will have to do some shopping! The tiny yellow on green look like a "ground cover" aka weed, similar to lemon balm, that grows hereabouts and can actually look quite nice in lieu of grass, but I have no idea what it is. BUT the flowers on mine are smaller than those look.

12. srvfantexasflood

Yes, I think riverbee and Omie are right about it being an aster. I hope it reseeds itself. Sure wish I could remember where I got it. The darned thing looked like a weed, but a lot of stuff in my yard looks like a weed until it blooms.

Gypsi, when my sweet autumn clematis produces seed heads I will send you some seed. I'll PM you when that happens, or vice versa. I picked up a native clematis at a plant sale yesterday, Clematis virginiana I believe. It is supposed to bloom like sweet autumn, but be less invasive. It is supposed to attract bees and hummingbirds too.

13. Gypsi

SRVfan - thank you, but I'm going to pass on any seeds - I work so much I can't get them started properly, they either drown or dry out. I do better with root cuttings and larger things. I am going to start vitex and butterfly bush cuttings today, in the greenhouse.

But I may hit a nursery today and see if I can find a clematis that is in bloom. There is a good organic nursery not far from here. I've also got a notion I'd like a passionflower vine. And this is a particularly good time of year for nursery bargains - what they don't sell they have to protect from freezing.

14. srvfantexasflood

You're welcome. Clematis is my favorite. I love passionflower vine, but after two attempts, I have given up. I also like Dutchman's Pipe and haven't had any luck with that. This summer, when the drought was at it's worst, one of the big box stores grew tired of watering plants that weren't moving. They had a sale. All you could put into a regular cart for $5. I took them up on it, twice. I grabbed about 13 clematis and a ton of other stuff, mostly drought tolerant. I also picked up bittersweet vines. I moved all plants into larger pots and proceeded to water daily. I have given clematis to any family member that wanted some. It's been great to share. Now I am in the process of getting the needier plants, that died from lack of water, dug out and replaced with more drought tolerant goodies. Around here, fall is a the best time to plant.

15. Gypsi

There is old fashioned hardy passionflower, and then there are these new prettier hybrids. I'm after the real mccoy. Had it for years in my yard in town, my ex dug it up and gave it to me, but I didn't get it in the ground in time and lost it. The time to plant in Texas is NOW.

I will be scattering wildflower seeds and digging them in in some of my beds (after removing the weeds), and I'll be seeding my broccoli and swiss chard this week. Spinach after the temps drop maybe, if I still have seed for it. But I buy cheap seeds (well relatively), block plant with a lot of compost, water and wish them luck. Ornamental seeds I try to plant with actual plants or cuttings so there is something big yelling "water me".

And I took my own broccoli seed last year. The seed factory up in Washington has just been invaded by gmo's that will cross breed. Google it if you want the whole story.

16. Gypsi

How large are the blooms on that "aster" srvfantexasflood? Because I have little weed flowers that my mom used to call chigger weeds, blooms half an inch across but look just like the asters. The bees love them. I, unfortunately, considered them a weed and have pulled a lot of the plants. Stems are stiff and pokey

17. srvfantexasflood

Sorry, Gypsi. I just saw this. I would say the blooms are 6/8ths of an inch across. The yellow centers are 1/4 inch across. The leaves are about 7/8ths inch long. They are very narrow. There are starting to fade now. That may be because the night temps are near freezing or the lack of rain.

18. Gypsi

Thank you - that answers what happened to the asters I planted. I thought they were weeds, lol... oops. Bees are loving the ones I didn't pull.

19. srvfantexasflood

What kind of asters did you plant? I think I need to mark that particular aster this fall so that I don't do the same. Gee, I hope it reseeds itself.

20. Gypsi

New England asters. I don't know if they even came up. I got the seed from Stock seed farms, planted it at the back of the bed I grow swiss chard in, got about 3 chard plants and a few weeds. April showers didn't show up til ???? I was busy.

But I'm guessing my weeds aren't asters. You be the judge: IMG-20121004-00844.jpg