The whole flow thing

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ibeelearning, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Second year keep... the learning curve steep.

The weather has been so strange this year. Spring bloom in NE Alabama started in March instead of May. I have been harvesting a couple frames at a time for a month. At this writing, it looks like mid summer outside; there is not much bloom going on. Does this move the whole bee calendar up six weeks? Have I already seen the Spring flow? What does this mean for the Fall flow?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Second year keep... the learning curve steep.

tecumseh:
    rhymes?

good question but I suspect no one really knows the answers to your questions. I get the same kind of question here from some new beekeepers and about the best advice I can muster up is 'it all depends on the frequency and intensity of the rain'.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

:goodpost:Tec

I agree with Tecumseh,this Spring here in central Fl. has mostly been bone dry with very little nectar coming in,we finally got some good rains(almost 5 inches total)starting last week and upon inspection of my hives yesterday I saw most of honey supers filled(some completely filled) with ripening nectar that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Flow has definitely stopped here...... See the bees working Clover but no honey coming in and no wax being drawn.

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Yeah, my package went gang-busters filling up the two deep brood boxes. I was all excited when I put the honey super on last weekend. Peeped in yesterday, and they haven't even TOUCHED it! I was disappointed. They are working the clover in my yard for the first time this week. Guess the pickens are gettin slim...

6. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Plant some annual flowers for them!

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

What do you plant? They have ignored everything my wife has planted.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Here in North Florida near Jacksonville, with all the rain we had last week, seems both the nectar flow, and misquito levels are raising.
    Barry

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

ablanton, if you are using a queen excluder, they won't touch the super. Remove the excluder until they are working the super, then install it, making sure the queen is below it.

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I'm not using an excluder. I don't even own one. There were a few bees in the super. They just weren't doing anything.

11. Yucca Patrol

Yucca Patrol New Member

I'm in Birmingham, so our flows should be somewhat similar. I noticed in the past week that my bees suddenly started checking out flowers in our garden instead of flying off to greener pastures. I took this to mean that they are really having to hunt for nectar sources and that the big sources have dried up. I'll be able to confirm this as soon as it stops raining here in the next couple of days and I can check to see what they are doing in the super I put on two weeks ago.