the Zookeep

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Zookeep, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Howdy all I go by Zookeep, well, I was working at a house and the cottage on the side had a feral hive in the wall right behind the electric meter and right below that is the breaker box on the outside so no hope of a tear out, so I took a 9 frame brood box and hooked up a 3x4 gutter pipe from the entrance turned down into the top of the inner cover, after just over 2 weeks the box was full with 8 of the nine frames built out so I ordered a all American queen and put her in it the last week of July.

A day later I went to Virginia for a week and came back and move the hive to my back yard. few days after that I went back to the cottage to kill whats left and seal the walls, couldnt do it, there are more bees there now then when I started so this time I did a trap out with a 9 inch brood box with a 6inch box on that and 3 pieces of old come on 9 inch frames. well. that was a little over 2 weeks ago and the 9s full and they are working on the 6 , I just added a buckfest queen to that box and the bees are still pouring outa the wall lol.

what ever kind of honeybees are in that wall I want them, I gotta get some brood from it, the homeowner(very nice old women) told me to do what ever I had to to save them, so Im gonna try and take part of the shed built to the wall just 2 feet to the right of the meter box down and try to go in after the come from the side.

what a summer, went from never even thinking about bee keeping again ( did it about 28 years ago up north) to have 2 hives and soon to be 3, hope every1 else is having a good summer.

the Zookeep :Dancing:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a big HOWDY from Texas.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Hi and welcome Zookeep :hi: I'm just north of you in Plant City.
    Great forum here with helpful friendly folks,if you need help just ask.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

wlecome aboard zoo hope to see you around often

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What is the wall made of on the inside. I never do a cutout from the outside if I can possibly do it from the inside.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello zoo and welcome to the forum :wave:

hope to see you around and no need to be shy around us!!

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the outside is vertical cypress siding insides 2 closet walls and way too much other to get at it from inside , its the 1st way I looked at doing it, hell of a strong hive too, when I started the trap out I bought 3 pieces of old come ( didnt have any, wasnt keeping bees at the time) all 3 were crammed with wax moth larva , all I could get, cleaned them up best I could and took them to the hive and leaned them up on the meter to open the box and must been 50 bees were on them already trying to clean them up, 24 hours later I pulled 1 out and it was spotless, old pollen and all the larva were gone and they started to load with honey already, starting to think some1 nearby lost a VSH hive or they swarmed, found out today this is the 2nd time the cottage has had bees in the wall, 1st time was 10 feet away from this spot, now that I been stung hard by the bee keeping bug again after all these years think I might put out a few swarm lure traps in the area, got to admit after reading posts and visiting all the bee supply places online, bee keeping has changed alot since years back, still fun though :]

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

any1 else having problems posting? trying this 1 just to see if I can even get it posted , odd it works here but I cant post in any other part of the forum

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Welcome to the forum Zookeep!!! :hi: Wow!!! 2 Florida members in a week,at this rate we may catch up to Iddees bunch in N.Carolina. :lol: