there pi##y bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by the kid, Sep 20, 2009.

1. the kid

the kid New Member

this fall the girls seem like they are in a bad mood ,, other years they never were like this that I remember
    not this bad any way .. Went to Jeremy s place and Bon went over to get a quick peek in his hive ,,2 hits
    within 10 secs ,, are yours more uppity this year ????? these at home are handing out stings like there
    jelly beans ..

2. the kid

the kid New Member

I forgot to say this year when we sit in the back yard ,, the girls are all over us ,, they are climbing on your hands
    face , glasses (eye ),, arms ,allover 10 -15 around most of the time .. they don't sting but you have to watch what you do and how . this is the first year that the girls are like this

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what is/are the ages of the hives and what kind of varroa/t-mite treatment do you use?

if a hive is predictable pi**y all season long I suspect genetics. if a hive has a bit of age on a queen and suddenly become pi**y at or about 2 years of age I suspect varroa (t-mites are not such a large problem here). this time line also suggest that the hive will become queenless fairly soon (and if at the wrong time or if it has limited resources will be nothing besides an empty box fairly quickly).

the other explanation to constantly pi**y bee which I suspect you are not bother with is ants on or about the hive. most especially fire ant here will make a perfectly workable hive quite cranky.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Bee in my front yard became cranky about the end of June. These bees on a sunny day with a flow on you could work nakid, with no flow just a t shirt and jeans worked. When they got cranky I walked by one hive with black jeans on and got 30 stings in the legs before I got far enough away they stopped attacking. Told Kare we had a critter problem. I got 3 skunks in 3 nights with the live trap, I got 4 coons in 7 days and 3 more coons in the next month. The hives are now calm again.

Another thing is the stuff women tend to wear. Hair sprays and other hair treatments, skin lotions and such down to and even the type of soap they use in the shower/bath.

:D Al

5. the kid

the kid New Member

I know the hives at home don't have any thing bugging them ,, there inside a fence and I can tell by tracks if coon are around them ... they were spring nucs ,, and the queens has been laying good in 4 of them the 5th not so good , but the way all started they were bad nuc and came back better then I would dream that they could ,, the 6th I just let die out ... when I first got them I called Al to see if it was just me that thought they were poor nucs .. but 2 end up with queens that were laying machines .. they filled two beeps and a med with brood each , even with me pulling frames for the other hives ,,
    the bees flying around are mellow as any can be ... the only time there pi##y is when we pop a top with out smoke ,.. I was thinking they may be garding the winter stores ,, as theres not much out there for them around here right now ,, they are even trying to go in pop cans .. they don't mind if I stand next to the hive but pop a top with out smoke and they are handing out the stings like jelly beans .... It might be that I'm not use to smoking as when I just pop a top to have a look in the top box I never light it up .. and light smoke when I go into the bottom box .. I think they might know a early , hard , winter is around the corner , and are watching there stores ..

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Mine have been that way for several weeks, but then again it has been raining for several weeks.

G3

7. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Ours have been "nosey" (checking you out whenever you get within 25+/- feet of the hives, but not out to sting) since we moved them to the back of the drive. I figured that it was a little bit warmer of a location, due to the drive stone being dark and holding heat from the day and that we also started to feed them for winter, so they didn't need to work as hard. I hope they don't do this all year long, I like where they are located, but don't know about the constant inspection.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Opening without smoke, in my opinion, is asking for stings. It's almost guaranteed to happen sometime during a season.

It's like driving a car without a gas gage. You're asking for trouble, and will get what you ask for.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh my there goes iddee spoilin' our fun and cuttin' right to the chase scene...

there is very little I would do in regards to manipulation where I do not light the smoker FIRST.

other factors that might create the circumstance for perfectly workable bees to become a bit hostile.
    1) on the edge of starvation. truely starved bees are of little problem since they don't really have the energy to fly.

2) bees that are worked a bit too frequently. remedy.. unless there is some pressing issue in regards to the bee keeper or hive don't work the girls more than every 3 days or so.

3) a new one for me as observed by another bee keeper. the more hygenic bees can become quite cross in the fall of the year. by his description almost a by-polar personality shift from their behavior during the summer months. likely associated with hording behavior I would guess.

10. the kid

the kid New Member

there not on the edge of starvation , by any means , there heavy hives .
    I as a norm , even with the first hive 4 years ago , I would look in the top and never think of lighting the smoker ..
    quess I never had a fear of bees or stings .. The norm amount of stings for the summer was around 8 ,, and most of them are from crushing the bee ,( I dont pay that much attention how or were I put my hands when in the hive )one year I got 14 in one day , doing things that I knew better then to do . but it could have been more ..
    Ive been in the hives verey little this year .. I think there bored and looking for intertanement ...

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Tom I think the bees have made you the butt of their jokes. Watch him dance when I sting him :lol: :lol: .
    Really it is that time of year when they are protecting their stores. And yes they could know we are in for a long winter you more than me that far north.As for smoking I lite mine and leave it on the truck tail gate incase the syrup I mist them with doesn't keep them busy. Of course I smoke them real good when we are pulling honey supers off.

:mrgreen: Al

12. visitmaniac

visitmaniac New Member

I just started myself this year and have been having a few ups and downs but noticed this when I went to visit my friends they where all over me like flies on **** lol
    Curious to learn some more from this forum seems like a great crowd :D