They filled the bottom hive box with honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ASTMedic, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

They filled the bottom brood box with honey

So I'm running a 3 deep brood chamber setup with a slatted board on the bottom and a screened bottom board. I've added a robbing screen since we have a lot of wasps in this area. I like that the robbing screen allows max air flow and still controls the entrance. Today when I pulled the hive apart to check each box I found that they had packed the bottom box with capped honey. The middle box had arches of honey with open frames below those and the the top had frames with larva. If the top entrance causes problems I'll change as needed.

So I put the hive back together with the box with mostly open frames on the bottom, then the one with brood and then the one with capped honey. I added an upper entrance below the box that has only honey. I figured this would put a body of honey between the queen and the supers when we get to that point.

The attached pic shows the new configuration.

Why would they have filled the bottom box like that and not moved it up to the upper boxes? Should I be concerned about this?

[​IMG]

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

don't think there are any issues, just happened to be the bees chose to store the honey. what is exactly why you need to go through your hives every extra 8 -10 days this time of year. you might want to have another super standing by lol or they will start back filling of the brood chamber and set the stage for swarming.

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Ya I've been really good about checking them once a week the past few weeks. I think I forgot to pull frames in that bottom box lastweek though, my mistake.

Just put a spare medium box together tonight. I left the frames alone and I'll put them together the day I need them. I also have a spare deep box and frames if push comes to shove. I just hope they don't pack the new bottom deep with honey again.

Edit: Now that I think of it I wonder if I should just toss the super on.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

provide an upper entrance that goes directly into the honey super, make a upper entrance by making a 4 - 5 inch wide slot in the rim of inner cover deep side. Foragers will bypass brood chambers once they discover it. Also aids in ventilation.

5. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Something other than the one on the shim I put on there?

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Like I said, take inner cover, and cut on the deep side rim down to the wood of cover about 4 - 5 inches wide entrance.

7. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I went ahead and put a medium size box on as a super and sprayed the foundation with my HBH recipe. They seem to have a hard time getting started on the foundation so spraying it helps a lot.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

This is what I meant by upper entrance, lower picture show cover flipped " closing " the entrance

Attached Files:

9. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I've seen that with a smaller opening. It's a good idea

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I live down in Florida and because of that I want to avoid brood chambers being congested with all those returning foragers. they will start to bypass the brood chambers and entirely, to store nectar.

11. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I've got the shim with the small opening on as an upper entrance now. If that smaller opening needs to be expanded on I'll give that a try.

Right now they aren't using the upper entrance really. It's only been a few days so I hope that will change.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

could be more of a matter that they don't have enough population to spread out enough to use it. I don't know where you're from but I'm from Florida, our weather has consistently been in the mid 70's to mid 80's by day and no lower than the 60's by night. I only have to hives, and this is a brood frame from my weakest one, they will quickly equalize.

Attached Files:

13. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I'm in NorCal. Temps have been similar but some cooler evenings. Some of my frames look like that and some don't. Numbers are clearly on the rise though.

I can't wait for the blackberries to bloom. That's what the hive is backed up to and should really make things interesting.

14. supercoop

supercoop New Member

I just got these this past fall from Brushy Mountain and love them to feed sugar brick this winter and I've flipped them over now to be used as an inner cover and I've noticed the girls fling into the hole provided which will help fill the medium honey super I have on top

Attached Files:

15. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Here are 2 frames from today. They're rolling along good.

Attached Files: