They finally arrived

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by frankh, Jun 11, 2011.

1. frankh

frankh New Member

I picked up the bees yesterday and hived them, three packages for me and three for my friend. All went well. In all the packages, the queen had three or four other bees in her cage with her. The cages were intact, so they must have been put in with her. I thought the queen traveled alone. Our queen cages had a metal disc stapled over the candy hole, and hung in the package by this disc....about the size of a silver dollar. The instructions said to have a hammer and tack handy in case the disc came loose(I wood think this meant to leave the disc in place. But that covers the candy). It also said to hang it candy up, by the disc. Maybe I'm stupid, but I could not understand the directions. So, I pulled the disc off, exposing the candy end and reattached it to the plugged end and wedged it between the frames, with the disc resting on top of the frames, and the candy end down. Is this OK?

2. letitbee

letitbee New Member

It is my understanding that the candy plug should face upward so that if any of the attendant bees in the cage with her die, they don't block the hole. But I think the bees know what they are doing and will get her out no matter what. I hung mine with the candy facing down and they got the queens out just fine. Have fun with your bees!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

candy end should be horizontal to up, reason being if one of the attendant bees dies they will fall to the bottom of the cage leaving the candy hole open for the queen to escape.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Just make sure that when you wedge the queen cage between two frames, not only is the candy end accessible so the queen can exit when the candy gets eaten, but also **the screen must be reachable** so the workers in the hive can feed the queen though the screen before she gets released from the cage.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not only that but it lets the queens pheromones get passed around to the entire hive.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the screen is in the open, the candy down should be fine for 2 to 3 days. Check them tomorrow or Monday and if she's not out, release her from the other end.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

frankh writes:
    So, I pulled the disc off, exposing the candy end and reattached it to the plugged end and wedged it between the frames, with the disc resting on top of the frames, and the candy end down. Is this OK?

tecumseh:
    there are numerous ideas about how to do this properly. the proper method might depend on location and temperature. the various 'opinions' on the proper method to place wire and candy I suspect depends on problems folks have encountered in the past and which may or may not still apply. here in the south where heat is the prime problem most folks think the candy should be located so that if it melts it will not drown the queen. needless to say several things can go wrong which is why it is a good think to check back in 2 days or so to see if she did get out of her introduction cage and to conjure a remedy if she did not.