they flew the coup..

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by roadkillbobb, May 17, 2018.

1. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I was away for a week, when I left lots of bees , when I got back an empty hive, guess they found greener pastures elsewhere..ungrateful little %@#&*%$..LOL..ill set out some swarm traps and see what shows up...lats hive inspection I didnt see any queen cells a few weeks ago..

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If all are gone it wasn't a swarm, it was an abscond. Pop frames in a freezer for a couple of days, kill off baddies like Small Hive Beetle, mites, wax moth eggs

3. roadkillbobb

by the time I got home the wax moths and beetles were already there, I cleaned the frames of comb and ones with any honey I left out for any bees to come by and clean them off then ill wash the frames and boxes with water...im going to melt and clean the wax i scrapped off, I put that in the freezer to kill the moth eggs and worms and beetles....and start over from scratch..

4. Gypsi

I'm sorry for your loss. You have other hives?

5. roadkillbobb

that was the only hive, I was going to try and split it this year, guess they knew something was up and wanted to stay together..LOl..Im going to set up a few swarm traps and see what comes by, a friend upstate has some hives and may start raising queens, ill see if he wants to sell a nuc, or I may buy a nuc upstate, the guy I bought the last nuc from is out of his mind with price, he wants $250.00 for a 5 frame nuc on long Island..hes nuts..

6. Gypsi

that is pretty high for sure.