things are not going well

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, May 12, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went to the main yard today to pick 2 nucs to move to the new yard, hives are starting to use up there stores , still no rain and everythings starting to turn brown, Ill end up feeding soon if the weather does not change and we get some flowering, farmers are not planting in my area at all, the few that tried watched there fields burn in the sun, its like a dust bowl around here, and the year started off so good too, hope you all are having better luck then I am:cry:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, that sounds bad. I'm sorry for you guys!

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I'm in the same boat. If we had some rain, any at all, I think it would be a different story. It has been a month since we had a drop.
    Robert

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like Florida is now experiencing what we saw here last summer. beyond the dearth there is also the added problem of fire. I would guess before long the ground in Florida will begin to burn?

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Well they say with global warming there will be a lot of drought in the south, central US, and midwest, but increased precipitation in the northeast. yikes.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ZooKeep and REJones,
    Sorry about your collective weather related issues in Jacksonville area, we have been getting atleast moderate rain, so many things are flowering, now with that said, how many are actually generating nectar I don't know that, judging from the one hive I have that wasn't messed with, it hasn't drawn out all 10 frames yet, and is storing very little with no excess that I can detect. I do know that in next few weeks, the spring/ summer nectar will stop, with little to no real nectar--alot of pollen little nectar. Hopefully I can get them strong enough for fall nectar, and atleast not have to feed them over the winter.
    Barry

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I went back to the main yard today and put frames of honey from my few strong hives into some of the weak hives, all I can do now is hope it lasts till we get the regular storms again, I also moves a few hives from the main yard to the new yard at the nursery, maybe spreading out will make what little there is for them to collect go farther, strange thing, end of last june when I started my 1st trap out there was still a massive flow going on cause they pulled and filled a nine inch brood box in no time.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we experienced the same weather last year. no fun at all this year is shaping up to be a little better all though we could use some moisture

9. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

question asker here : how do you keep up with what is blooming in your area, when, and for how long; and what the honeybees like to gather from?

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/plants.htm

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

After almost fifty years of beekeeping and living in the same area all your life, being around other beekeepers and belonging to a bee club. You can't help to know what bees like and what's blooming.bwwertz, i'm guessing you've got a few years to go before you get to where i'm at.:lol: Jack

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad I only bought 2 Nucs. Went
    Thru drought last year. Spread out,
    Buy sugar, use entrance reducers.
    Good luck

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i don't envy you zookeep, anyone in florida this year or texas last couple years. for us, last couple years up here, not enough snow through the winter, this winter no snow. last spring it rained and rained and rained then dried up late spring and all summer until goldenrod, and then the most prolific g/r i have ever seen? carried my girls through winter though. this spring we were hitting 80's mid march into april wearing t-shirts and shorts when we should be shoveling snow and wearing long underwear. buds and blooms 3-4 weeks early. late april turned cold and froze some of the buds, then no moisture until the last couple weeks. this year looks to be a little more promising, but still need a little more moisture as well. wish the best for you and your bees.

14. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Yes, Jack. It is painfully obvious I'm a rookie at this. =)

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

bwwertz, hope you didn't think i was making fun of you:???:. what i was saying was after fity years of beekeeping i'm bound to learn something.After 2 or 3 years of beekeeping under your belt, you will be helping other beekeepers get started in bees. Good luck. Jack