things are too dry

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

we have had maybe 2 real rains since the 1st of the year and things are just wilting now all over the place, starting to worry my bees are going to have nothing to forage soon, wildflowers are all most all gone and I see alot of farmers now holding off on planting, and ontop of that wildfires are popping up all over florida.:cry:

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Serves you right....down there swarm hoarding while the rest of us are up here hanging our long johns up to dry in front of the woodstove :grin:

All kidding aside, we need rain too here in Jersey. April has been dry, about 4" below normal. I see a big storm coming up the from the south and is supposed to rain most of the weekend and into next week. Fingers crossed!

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

same here Zoo, my driveway is all sugar sand and its getting tricky to drive up...wont be long I'll be pulling one of the kids out of the driveway after they get stuck...they keep saying heavy rains this weekend...we don't need that...we need that light rain that lasts about a week or more an then to fall into the everyday afternoon sea breeze rains that is normally Florida weather. the withalachoochee river is about to stop flowing again...it has for several years in a row now...that is soooo sad...still allot of wildflowers around the wetlands here and in pasco. the bay trees are blooming near the coast and the bees are on them hard....ive seen some primrose in bloom but no bees on them so something else must be in bloom thats better....but thats near the water in the wetlands...the uplands are very very dry

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hope you all get rain soon. Not too bad here in NY, supposed to get rain this weekend.
    I never worry about my bees though- my neighbor up the road has a swimming pool.
    Just kidding!
    ....sort of.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

??? What happened to the 4 o'clock palmetto pounders? Hmmm, ok, that was back in the 80's when I was down there off and on.....wow, how time flies!!!

I hope ya'll get some rain soon. We've been blessed here in south Alabama. Had been getting good rain for a while (still need it to play catch up) but then slacked off. That got me worried. But over the last few weeks we've been getting it off and own. This has been one of the greenest springs in a LONG time for us. Just hope it doesn't dry up on us.

Best wishes down there. Again, I hope the rains come and the fires smolder out for ya'll.

Ed

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I don't know Omie... In Staten Island we have been having large brush fires almost every day since last weekend..

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I've said it too often, it really hurts: "Global warming". :eek:ldtimer:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Medic- it's dry here in NY all right! But not nearly as bad as other parts of the country, and that's what I meant. :)

9. tommyt

tommyt New Member

I'm in Pinelass not very good looking for the bees
    Hillsborough (Tampa)has many Beeks,all I speak too
    are moaning about NO Nectar
    A while back things looked to be good for Palmetto and most
    packed up and moved their hives only to find, Not this year once again
    some are talking "feed time" :sad:

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Just went through my hives today,and I guess I'm in the same dry Florida boat as the others:sad:.I saw very little capped honey and some ripening.If their stores get any lower I'll have to start feeding.:frustrated:

11. rast

rast New Member

Getting scared to light my smoker here it's so dry. One spark is all it will take to start a wildfire.

12. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Just in case some newbee (like me) is reading...don't forget to put some green grass or whatever in the top of the smoker to cool the smoke down *and* to help prevent sparks from blowing out.

I may not have that exactly right (beginning to doubt my brain) so somebody set me right if it's not.

Anybody got any dry-weather tips or warnings?

Ed

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

its getting really bad....we used to be able to set our watch by the afternoon thunderstorms. now they are all but gone. although it just rained a few hours ago it wasn't a whole lot. its supposed to rain tomorrow too. but in 2 days that will be gone an we will be drying right back up. the honeys out there to be had yall...you just have to know where to drop your hives. talked to a beek today who pulled well over 400lbs of honey last week. this isn't a big deal for him and he didn't get any citrus honey this year.

14. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

15. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

<chuckle> Well, actually looking for tips and warnings on "do's" and "don'ts" of beekeeping during dry weather. :)

But some good maps none the less. ;)

Ed

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

intheswamp,
    i use a galvanized pail to set my smoker in.

also, some beeks use wine corks to plug the smoker.

17. tommyt

tommyt New Member

It seems due too this dry (no Honey) weather the prices of Honey is climbing
    They have just about doubled from last year
    Whole sale 2011=.98 to 1.20 per lb.
    WS 2012 = 1.80-1.90 with one guy @ 2.00 per lb
    Lets see what the retail ends up at, I don't think it will rise much :sad:

18. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I believe it's going to be a situation of supply and demand. It seems to me that there is a growing customerbase for natural local honey. More people are reading, more folks are getting interested in a healthier diet, refined sugar is being looked at negatively, and people like the "cottage industry" atmosphere of local honey. Plus, I think a lot of them are trying local honey for the first time (not counting the pasturized stuff in the supermarkets) and finding out it's GOOD!!! ;)

I'm a newbee but this past fall and winter I sold a little of my mentor's honey at my business. Simple end of counter display of jars of honey with a on printer paper that said "Local Honey" and had a picture of friendly looking bee on it. This is basically in a warehouse/junk room setting. I probably sold $700-$800 worth of honey in pints and quarts in a three month time period...without really trying. The honey pot went dry back in late February and I still have folks coming in looking for honey, some are new folks who was told that we had honey...word of mouth. This is all in a county of probably 14k folks and a small sprawling city of maybe 2.7K folks. If the honey is available this coming season I would say that that sales amount will easily double. My mentor sold this honey at $5pint and $10qt. I tried to get him to go up on price to $6 and $12 but he resisted...this year. I talked with him about a month ago about it and he's finally decided to increase his price this coming year.

Having said all of that...if we go by the direction the economy is currently headed (at least in my area) things don't look good at all. If the economy keeps diving it may be that we get a bushel of peas for a quart of honey. If the increased wholesale honey prices hold firm it seems to me that local retail prices should increase, also, but there's always somebody trying to beat everybody's price.:roll: But, as I stated above....I'm a newbee so take that with a BIG grain of salt.

Ed

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

In Florida there is always something in bloom...if your mobile and know ''what, when'' and have a ''where you can'' then you can get honey. in around large wetland areas and close to the coast there are things blooming....(hernando,citrus,sumter areas) in the upland areas and pine flats its just dusty crunchy dry....spanish needles are blooming an im sure its just enuff to get by for the bees in the dry areas....certianly not enuff for honey though....honey dont come to you...ya gots to go get it.

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Based on my experience of last summer's drought: feed, feed, feed, 1:1 sugar water, and don't get between the beehive and the pond or you will get bumped into. Also, get robber guards on your hives. When the ferals run out of nectar, they come to visit.

I wish everyone just the right amount of rain, including me. We got caught up, our lakes are full, but it's not raining, and my sweet potato sets went in the ground only to burn up on me. I didn't have soaker hoses set up and had to work, and the darned bee tree hive had me run out of the garden. (they seem to have settled down - will find out tomorrow.)

Gypsi