thinking about getting into it

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by luckyaddaam, Mar 21, 2012.

1. luckyaddaam

luckyaddaam New Member

Hello! I have kind of always been a nature man. I love my bird feeders and the chirpy birds (except those pesky starlings) so why not love the bees aswell? Haha love the birds and bees....yea. anyway I am brand new to this idea and look forwards to exploring the forum. I am a DIY kind of guy. If I can save a some money I will. I told my wife about this beekeeping hobby and she said ono. What about your homebrewing, your fish tank, and your birdfeeders? So needless to say, either one hobby has to go or this one has to be affordable. Lol

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome :hi:

You have found a great resource in your possible beekeeping endeavors. Friendly and no attitude, and we try to have fun.
    First, tell your wife that you want to get in to this together, you feel that it would be a great way for you to spend more quality time together :lol:. Then tell her that she would probably look hot in a bee suit! :wink: (Don't tell her you mean that she will be sweating like all get out).
    Pay for everything bee wise with cash, receipts kept hidden so as to leave no trace of what it is really costing you.
    Tell her you want to add mead to your homebrewing and keeping bees is really just an extension of that.

Glad you found us! :thumbsup:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome Luckyaddaam, :hi:
    What's a few bucks spent on equipment compared to the exhiliration of being able to spread YOUR OWN honey on your crackers? Or maybe for your wife to bake a honey cake with REAL honey? Than, of course, there's Perry's direction in the way of making your own mead. But that's the small reward--Statistics say that beekeepers don't come down with arthritis, and with your own propolis, available whenever you want it, you've got a cure-all for anything that could go wrong with you. In the darkest of nights (power outs) you can light your own bee's wax candles and there's nothing to compare with the quality shine you get from bee's wax furniture polish. The list of a bee keepers' rewards is endless.
    So what's a sting or two (or more) on the way to real, do-it-yourself happiness?
    We're glad to have you and your wife join us.:grin:

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, birds won't sting you, but on the other hand, bees won't splat on you. :D

With the price of honey, one or two good seasons will pay for your initial investment (at least that's the way I've calculated it).

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to the forum! :D

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Drop your bird feeders and fish tank.I've got two empty tanks on my front porch now waiting to give to someone. Fish and birds have nothing to offer compared to bees.

By the way, the Forsyth beekeepers club meets the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Saturday of most months, 5:30 PM (Meal), 6:30 PM (Program), Co. Extension Office, Fairchild Rd., Winston-Salem.

The contact is ABBY ALLEN
    Email: mrsabbyallen AT yahoo.com
    (336) 403-9556

Welcome to the forum. Between the club and this forum, you should get any and all questions answered.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Tell your wife you can add sports cars, tennis, swimming official, hiking, hops growing, boy scout leader, gardening and woodworking to the existing hobbies like another beekeeper if she prefers. Lol. Yep my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Welcome, it is an addictive hobby, enjoy it.

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome to the forum, I"m sure you will like it here, hope you talk your wife into it, I did.

Kebee

8. rast

rast New Member

My wife say's it the cheapest hobby I ever had.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Geez rast, what were your other hobbies? :shock: :lol:

10. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Welcome i am new here myself, my wife loved the idea even with my other hobbies 210 salt water tank, woodworking, making fireworks, beer making, hop farmer, and I do keep several humming bird feeders going ( those little guys amaze me ):thumbsup:. So just let her no you will have a little less time for her :wink: so you can have more time to spend with the girls ( bees ) hmm.. on second thought that might not work, but hey if you try it get video so we can all see what her reaction is :box:

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like Perry's post #2, but it would help if you started with giving your wife the mead first.:thumbsup: Jack

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong here, lots a good folks with great experience and information.

13. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome aboard lucky :hi:

If you are into a little wood working building boxes can be a fun thing to do also.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

as to affordability... you can of course get all wound up and spend lots of $ on beekeeping or you can go the slow grow way and spend very little. the first hurdle is the education of the beekeeper which typically takes lots of time and very little $ <you are likely here now I would guess.

one large advantage of beekeeping is that your involvement in time and $ can vary quite a bit as time goes by and from time to time you can even set the bees to the side, walk away and come back much later without really loosing much. warning here... once stung, always bit.

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

This is what convinced me last summer. My mentor was also my home builder. He brought some liquid gold over last summer for me to try. I was hooked! I had never had natural honey. It had always been the store bought variety. Mild flavor and was so sweet. I knew right then I had to help create my own. I like to work with wood and learn new things outdoors especially those related to growing things, and bees are certainly are a part of the chain. So, I ordered Beekeeping for Dummies (actually a good reference) over the winter and referenced some forums like this one and read up. I am lucky to have a mentor to learn from too. Bee prepared (sorry, couldn't resist, ha!) for $$$. If you want quality equipment and want to do things right, there will be some necessary investment.
    honey.jpg

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome to the best beekeeping forum. Enjoy:thumbsup:

18. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I would like to add my welcome to all the rest.:hi:Beekeeping can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you let it be. With a woodworking background, you can make a lot of your own woodenware, if you are mechanically inclined- you can build things like a honey extractor. As was stated in a previous post, one of the best things you can do is join a local beekeeping association. A lot of equipment can be borrowed or bartered for. Craigslist is a good resource for used beekeeping equipment-but check it out before you buy. You might be inheriting someone elses problems.
    Good luck!