Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the last month or so,i've been reading a lot about bees.the other day,my wife asked if i was going to get some bees?i told her i was thinking about it,but i need to do a lot of reading first. then my son asked me the same question.i said if i get some bees would you help me with them?he said sure sounds like fun.

so,i'm going to ask a lot of questions here.i hope i don't sound to dumb.

john

·
Registered
967 Posts
The winter will be a good time to do some reading and researching. If you are still interested by spring you are hooked. In the meanwhile any equipment you acquire is easy to unload if you should change your mind. You should likely soon get a firm order in for bees as they are often a lot harder to find if you wait till spring to go shopping.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
welcome to the forum. The only dumb question around here is the one that didnt get asked

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Welcome john:
As Rat said "The only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked."
The folks on this forum are knowledgeable, and very friendly. No one will look down on you 'cause you ask a question. In fact-most folks will respect you for it. You have come to the right place. We joke around with each other and have a great time, but share our knowledge and experiences with each other.
I'm a first year beek with 3 colonies, looking forward (with some trepidation) to over-wintering my bees in a northern climate. What I've learned here has given me confidence to do just that.
You are going about beekeeping in all the right ways. Learning all you can before you get your first colony. This winter will give you the opportunity to learn, and gather you equipment, so you'll be ready when your bees arrive.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tecumseh said:
I would guess one could invest way more than one winter just reading about bees????
i think it'll be life long learning...you learn something new everyday RIGHT...

gunsmith said:
You are going about beekeeping in all the right ways. Learning all you can before you get your first colony. This winter will give you the opportunity to learn, and gather you equipment, so you'll be ready when your bees arrive.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
i like to research a lot before jumping in with both feet...

john

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome.Do you have any keepers close by?I learned a ton last winter reading bee source but I like this site now.There's a good sence of humor and very knowledgable people.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Welcome.
I believe you have found the friendliest bee forum around. Plenty to learn about and winter is perfect for setting off and reading. Some real good videos on youtube as well.
Absorb it all and pick what works best for you.
Like jb63 says, finding a local beekeeper who will be a mentor is worth his/her weight in gold.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you find a local guy who is long on winter nucs, try and get one for the spring.Let him over winter then you have a good start in the spring.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
John:

Also, get on the website of your state dept. of agriculture, they usually have an apiary division or program. There you should be able to find information pertaining to your states requirements for keepeing bees.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
jboy:

We all need all the help we can get, that's why we're here.

Even some of these folks with 40 plus years of experience learn from us new folks, usually by the questions we ask.

So, please don't be afraid of asking, it's better to ask, and avoid problems, than it is to plow forward and screw something up.

P.S. we want to see pics of the new grandbaby when he/she gets here. Another generation of beekeepers. YAY!!!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Welcome John. :hi:
If your wife and your son didn't express objections, than you've got the biggest possible reason to go ahead and make the big step. :Dancing:
No reason for any doubts. :yahoo:
Try to infect them with your enthusiasm, They'll be better assets than a good queen and they can't be replaced for any money.
Our best wishes for success with your new avocation. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts