Thinking about winter already...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I know when I got my bees (2 nucs) that I had aspirations of a minimal honey harvest this year in the back of my head. I now have 3 hives with 3 good laying queens after a mid-May swarm. I've been through 2 swarms (1 lost) and a supercedure in this my first year of bee-keeping. I've come to the understanding that the bees usually can "fix" things themselves and situations that I see as dire emergencies are a part of life for them.
    That being said, I have 1 hive that, when fed, builds comb at a really fast rate. I've witnessed them drawing out an 8 frame medium in 4 days. The other 2 hives seem lazy. So I have decided to start feeding them again and let the productive hive make comb that I can share with the other hives. My hope is that when the 100's of acres of soybeans bloom all around me everyone will have comb and they will be "encouraged" to go and collect for the upcoming winter. I'm actually more interested in succesfully overwintering than collecting honey this year.
    Am I crazy? :dontknow:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It sounds like your first year has been eventful, but I think you will come to find that all years are eventful when it comes to dealing with bees. :mrgreen:
    As far as being crazy, I think a little of that never hurt in this endeavor.
    Also, thinking about overwintering just shows that you have foresight and may not get caught out like has been known to happen to some beeks. :oops:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You are starting to think like a beekeeper, keep all of these experiences in mind and learn from them, you will see it next year also.
    Being as far north as you are it is good to think like that, ask Perry he is even farther up.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

since everything requires a bit of time and the preparing of equipment thinking ahead is good bee keeping practice as certainly as is cleaning off the bottom board or adding supers. bee keeping is an enterprise where planning does pay dividends and being unprepared always cost ya'. I like to think that what I do todays is really about something I want to happen 6 months down the road.