This bee hobby has gotten out of control!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by beekeeperbrownie, Jun 17, 2013.

1. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

Since I am the only beek in my area and the Facebook machine spreads information at the speed of light, I have become the go-to guy for everything bee-related. In the past week, I have been called on three swarms that I captured, a business with bees in the building and a trap-out of a swarm that moved into a wall. I have another colony in a tree I haven't even looked at in town. Every day it seems the phone is ringing.

At this rate I am out of things to put them in. I have 4 nuc boxed swarms that are going to need hives. I could combine them I guess, but I really hate wasting queens.

What do you guys do with all your swarms?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Remember that one strong hive will be more than twice as productive as two weak hives---and require less woodenware. Don't feel too much pity for the queens (some pity, yes, but not too much). If you are in a pinch for equipment, unite two (or even three) of your weakest swarms and move on to producing honey.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sell nucs on craig's list and buy more equip. with the proceeds.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

make sure your charging for your bee removals especially cutouts and trap outs. Use that money for more equipment. There is more money in bee keeping selling nucs and offering bee removals than there is in selling honey

5. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

Definitely charge for a cutout. I did one for free that was easy early this spring for the bees but now am charging. I need a way to generate some income here to buy more equipment but catching swarms doesn't make me any money, just gets me to spend it.

What would a small swarm colony with a queen be worth?

I assume you wait a little bit and see that she begins laying etc then sell the colony with a few frames?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wait until they build out. Then I sell a 5 frame nuic for 125, or a 10 frame hive complete for 175, if the hive body, lid, and bottom board aren't new. 200 in new equip.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up here the local supply place charges the same for a swarm as they do for a nuc. People value swarms as much because of the number of bees and their comb building mode.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

The swarming season has recently started here. The secretary of my local bee club has a long list new keeps and others who want swarms. I have been able to pass on some of the swarms I have collected.

I wish I had a filter on my phone which stopped the bumblebee calls. . :beg:. :frustrated: