This came to my email box, a nice story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by efmesch, Apr 26, 2012.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Subject: Fwd: Remember Ann Margaret?

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]---
    She is someone I really admire what a great story about her

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Ann Margret....

This is a good counter-balance story to the Jane Fonda, story.

Viet Nam1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam , other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,'' he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thats great. After becoming an adult I have only watched one movie with Jane Fonda in it and that was ON GOLDEN POND. I have never supported any thing THAT person has done in her sorry life. Jim

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hope you don't mind me adding this little bit. All Canadian soldiers that that did not survive their tours of duty travel along HWY 401 in Ontario and this phenomena began. The HWY was shortly thereafter named the Highway Of Heroes!
    The band The Trews wrote this song shortly after that.

[video=youtube;IsCVlM1CSPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCVlM1CSPU[/video]

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks for posting. Both are great stories and made me mist up. I can't stand the b....h, and that she says she regrets it makes no difference to me.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I guess I am one of "her gentlemen". I was in An khe in 1967 when her and Bob were there. We took many pics and had a beautiful time that night.

Another story you won't hear often. When it was time for them to fly from Saigon to An khe, the army told them the enemy aircraft fire was too intense and they would have to cancel that engagement. Bob announced he was going anyway, and any of his troupe who wanted to stay behind could. NOT ONE MEMBER OF HIS TROUPE STAYED BEHIND. We got to see them all, Ann included.

And yes, I'm wiping tears now.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, Thanks for putting an icing on the cake.:thumbsup:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee said:
    "I guess I am one of "her gentlemen". I was in An khe in 1967 when her and Bob were there. We took many pics and had a beautiful time that night."

iddee, thank you very much for your service to our country.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I guess you never feel comfortable with sending a loved one off. I have been there every time my brother returned home after deployment, but never was there to send him off. He has done 2 tours in Afghanistan as a commander in the US Navy now retired, one in Iraq. He retired a few years back and still goes back to Afghanistan as a contract worker for the DOD, third tour. I look forward to his return and the trip to Boston. Bad luck has followed behind him he was the first SUPPO on the US Tisdale his replacement was killed in Yemen he went from the Tisdale to the pentagon and left 2 months prior to 911. Iddee I can say that I appreciate what you have done for this country and thank you.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an efmesch snip..
    This is a good counter-balance story to the Jane Fonda, story.

tecumseh:
    so what is the balance between doing the right thing and profiting from someone else dying or blowing up someone else's country (or do you perhaps think those uso tours are free)? so what is the balance in doing the right thing and promoting a war half way around the world that should have never happened in the first place? how this might protect us or make us stronger is simply way beyond my small mine to fathom.

it appear to me in reading just a bit of history all old soldiers want to be remembered as doing the right thing.... for most they are simply rationalizing a bad decision made when they were young men.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This is not a discussion on the merits of a war. It is a discussion of the actions of certain citizens during a war.

I dearly hope that you nor anyone else ever has anything good to say about Jane Fonda, aka 'Hanoi Hanna", and her actions during that war.The only thing she ever accomplished was to increase the torture and death count of our soldiers, who did NOT plan the war, nor have any say in whether it was fought or not.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh it is the actions of certain citizens that we are discussing here... now are we????

more exactly it is (or should be) the motivations of certain citizen relative to this war that we should have discussed long ago.... but we don't want to go there, now do we?

sounds like someone has got their logic a bit twisted up... you can discuss peoples actions relative to a war but you cannot consider what promoted this little conflict in the first place? you seem to be suggesting that even if a war is totally manufactured and for all the wrong reasons everyone should agree with this folly?

now I seems to recall that mz Jane apologized for her action and seemed to have admitted that the folks in Hanoi used her to a large degree. blaming her for some casualty rate or torture (but we are for that right now... right?) seems like a bit of strained logic. I myself found her apology to be honest and forthright... so why should I not accept her apology? as far as something good to say about mz fonda... she seems like a pretty good actress and her dad was a beekeeper.

mz Ann on the other hand just wants to sell a book... may I assume the book is not free? do you think her or any of the cast of folks on those uso tours actually worked for free? the tax advantage/dodge of the two above enterprise/occupations I would guess eludes most folks??? the text itself seems to suggest it was her original intentions not to give away any free autographs... tells me something, although I suspect other folks missed that clue.

now the 25000 names that accumulated on The Wall from the torpedoed 1968 peace accord till we got out in '72 or so can be squarely laid at the feet of two men. them acting as private citizens, one with hopes of being president and the other with the desire to be secretary of state, sound to me like high treason and conspiring with the enemy. I would guess others see them as pillars standing against communism <which as far as I could tell as a political/economic system never amounted to much anyway, but here in american we got to latch on to enemies where ever we find them << which should suggest to some people the larger motivation behind these kinds of conflict and how essential they really are.

as far as I can tell since the times of the Roman legions (I would assume the same holds true prior to this time) old soldiers at the end of their lives like to think of 'their sacrifice' as having been useful or with purpose. I suspect most time it is simply post hoc rationalization.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Doesn't even deserve a reply. I'll ignore it and consider it trolling, whether it is purposeful or lack of understanding.

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

tecumseh:
    I respect you as a knowlegable beekeeper, but have to ask, "Did you ever serve in uniform?"

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh I get it Iddee you cannot manufacture some excuse for peoples decision who stole a couple of years of your life for no real reason beyond fattening their own pocket and so rather than have a conversation on what happened you will just call me some name and avoid the issue. I simply have suggested they profited, you payed and I am more than glad this situation makes you all happy and warm feelin' inside.

and you seem to be confusing the misinformation some one planted in your head with understanding. certainly the inability to distinguish 'the facts' from propaganda is a fairly common human failure.

and to gunsmith.. don't know why it should or shouldn't matter but I severed in the US Navy in the same era... lucky for me beside being somewhat clued in to what was happening at the time (simply because I read well and a lot) I severed in the Atlantic Fleet far from the action.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Poor, misguided soul. I pity anyone so disillusioned.

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

not going to get into the middle of this debate....would have plenty to say about this myself....

might not want to hear it tecumseh,
    but THANK YOU for your millitary service.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I thought this was a beekeepers forum. What's all this business of waspy stinging? Some of you guys are making me regret having posted this item. I certainly didn't want to stir up a wasp's nest.
    You can't imagine how many things I have to say of my own that I don't say. I've had a few "slips" when I just couldn't hold it in, but even those would probably have been best saved for PMs.