This could be bad . . .

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by me2pl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. me2pl

me2pl New Member

bad news . . . one hive, small. only a brooder with two 6 inch supers. it's our first winter, when dad realizes that the bees aren't eating the food . . . when he opens it up, he finds a super and a half full of honey, but devoid of bees. when he peeked into the brooder, it was a skeleton shift down there. not literally, but you know the expression. there are ants in the hive, but we are going to make a four leg table with the cans of oil . . . a few dead bees on the floor of the hive, more on the place where they land. we haven't been using our entrance reducer, as it doesn't get all that cold here in Chico, but it does drop below 32 F every few nights . . . he couldn't search too thoroughly because he didn't want to release all the heat in the hive . . . that's all the specifics i have, please give any tips or ideas . . .

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When the weather permits 55 F or 60 F would be better check to see if there is a sign of the queen. Jack

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you might wish to check out this thread in the General Beekeeping forum.. sounds like about the same problem.

Why would a colony abscond this time a year leaving brood?

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Especially if the temps during the day are above 50. Tere ave been plenty of times I have had to work bees w/ snow on the ground. They were just fine.

Is this your only hive? I suspect that there either are enuf bees there to recoup whatever heat loss may occur from opening and inspecting or, if you have another colony, you should probably throw these supers up on another colony which could use the honey for wintering on since this one is a goner any way. Not that I can really see that from hear, just a suspicion from what you have reported so far.

5. me2pl

me2pl New Member

thanks for the imput . . . my dad seems to have overstated the issue, but it's still something to worry about. this is our only hive, but we think it may be fine after we get rid of those darn ants. we're going to open it up this weekend to see how bad it is. i'll get back to you then

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is not such a bad idea to operate off of the thermometer. in the 50's as long as the day is sunny and not excessively windy some manipulation are quite doable. as a new bee keeper I would not advise you to open a hive and leave it open for the time require to totally inspect each and ever frame. sqkcrk and myself pretty much know 'how long' by instinct and I suspect most new bee keeper do not.

no large deal but just a small warning.