This is getting ridiculous!!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by RE Jones, Oct 31, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Got a call about 3PM this afternoon, another swarm at work!
    Got everything loaded up and headed that way. Good thing I loaded everything.
    They were about eight feet in the air on a piece of 4 inch pipe. The "swarm" had built a six inch by three inch comb and were clustered on it.
    Got the comb cut and in the box and had to carry handful's of bees one at a time up and down an eight foot step ladder.
    Pretty sure I got the queen as I just checked the hive and some stragglers are fanning with their butts in the air.
    This makes five swarms or hives that I have gotten since Labor Day. Got a big one last Monday night that I gave to another beek as I did not have a hive set up then.
    I don't know where they are coming from, but I'm running out of room.
    Robert

2. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

send em to me, i got room up here

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

You probably would not want them, these are the southern bees, they are used to working year round. :lol:
    Believe me, if there was a way to get them to you, I would. If I don't get them, the company calls the exterminator, and you know what he does. :beg:
    Robert

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Robert do you have an ad running(Craigslist,penny saver ECT.) that you get your bee removal jobs?

5. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

No sir. All of my bees have come from the company that I work for.
    I work out at the chemical plant(fertilizer) on County Line Road. Mosaic.
    For some reason they love coming into the plant. Don't know if it is the heat, noise, vibrations or what. After I found out they were having them exterminated, I got with the plant manager and asked him if I could remove them instead. And there we are.
    I guess I'm going to have to build a couple of more hives.
    Robert

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

You can't ask for a better resource than that.

Maybe someone here can shed some light on the reason they're attracted there.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perhaps it that cloud of radon or florine produced in those fertilizer plants. couldn't be the smell I wouldn't think????

8. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Not unless the bees like stuff that stinks. I've been out here long enough that I don't notice the smell unless I have been off for a couple of weeks, then it hits me on the way in.
    I think it must be the noise or vibration, some of the swarms that I have got are in some really weird places.
    The real strong one that I have in the TBH, came off of the drawhead on a rail car. The last one came off of a 4" pipe that was close to one of the noisiest plants that we have. One from last Monday night was on a control room wall on the outside.
    Crackerbee, if you want some of these swarms, let me know. I know I can not take them all if it keeps up like this.
    Robert

9. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

The only box I have open right now is a 5 frame nuc,and I'm 3 frames short of a complete 10 frame deep hive,I could use the deep if there's enough comb for 3 frames.I'm sure the nuc will do fine for now and most likely through Winter.
    Just PM me and let me know.