this is Lazarus4

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lazarus4, May 24, 2013.

1. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hi
    I am new with all this. First time with bees and I might have a ton of questions :)

Home for now is in Council Bluffs, Ia. USA

Starting out with 3 hives of what the dealer said were banded Italian bees. They are pretty and seem to be peaceful. Like I said this is my first time with bees. I have a basic set up with a brood box and a super. The first order of bees got snowed in Wyoming and the driver turned up the heat and cooked 2200 packages of bees. That's a lot of bees :(

I guess my hives are standard set ups about 1' tall, 2x2 1/2'. I dont know all of the terms yet so like I said I am a noob :) I am raising bees for pollination and for what honey that I can get. I have about 14 fruit trees, organic garden, black raspberries and strawberries that need the bees.

It will be nice chatting with ya.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! lots of good info and experienced folks around here. :)

3. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Thanks, that is good to know. :) Your handle is just like my modem,,,when it works lol

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome again Lazarus4.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello from way up here too! :hi:
    This a friendly place to hang out and learn. Ask questions when you have 'em, offer answers when you are comfortable.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome, from the show me state. Jack

7. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Howdy from Nebraska....good to see ya here. Tom

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forums and no need to be shy around this bunch!! :hi:

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Welcome and good luck.

10. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hi to you.
    How long have you been raising bees? It looks like a wet weekend. :( We need the rain. What part of the state are you in?

11. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Thanks for the welcomes. :) I am new to posting a thread but I have a question so I will give it a try :)

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a large HOWDY Lazarus4.

and a snip of a question..
    How long have you been raising bees?

tecumseh...
    well not as long as Jack... but to answer your question more directly a bit over 50 years.

Council Bluff is nice country... from what I can recall.

13. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hi tecumseh

You have been with the bees then for a long time. Awesome

CB is a nice place. The economy has always been good, 4 seasons, very green and pretty. No honking of horns in traffic jams. We still have our problems with crime and high gas prices (89 grade=$3.79) OUCH

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi lazurus, happy to see you made it to the introductions, and welcome!
    you are about 6 hours south of me, once in awhile i make it down to the cornfields of iowa!
    hey, our gas prices beat yours, 4.29 right now.
    you post away, don't be shy, you came to a great place to ask questions and get answers.......and lot's of humor mixed in....:grin:

15. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hey riverbee how are you doing? WOW 4.29 mmmmm my my my that is huge ripe off! You almost want to pump the gas with your hands up in the air cause your being robbed at the pump! Too bad some thing isnt done to stop all this high price gas. I have all ready got some of my questions answered and I appreciate that. Its been good so far :) Hope that you get a chance to enjoy the weekend. :)

16. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Hey bamabww how is life down in your neck of the woods? We are getting a washed out weekend here. Rain with partial clearing and sun. Hope you get the chance to enjoy your weekend. :) Laz

17. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

This is the end of my first week with the bees and it has been a good time. Glad that I stumbled on to this site. What kind of a spring have you had so far? For us its been cold and wet. This month we have had 2-3" of snow and then a week later we had the earliest first time ever record for temps over 100. ITS BEEN CRAZY My strawberries are 2 weeks behind cant tell about the black raspberries just yet. They usually come in around mid June. Crazy weather!!! Enjoy your weekend! :) Laz

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Hey riverbee how are you doing? WOW 4.29 mmmmm my my my that is huge ripe off! You almost want to pump the gas with your hands up in the air cause your being robbed at the pump! Too bad some thing isnt done to stop all this high price gas. I have all ready got some of my questions answered and I appreciate that. Its been good so far :smile: Hope that you get a chance to enjoy the weekend. :smile:"

:lol:.....yep, that's pretty funny, hands up in the air.....worst part for me is i drive a jeep wrangler, gas mileage in that is not great. i took the back seat out awhile back to get a little more mileage......:lol:am enjoying the weekend, thanks laz. cold, wet and rainy, but a little chance to take it easy for a few days.

our weather has been similiar, spring, very wet and cold, 14" of snow about a month ago, then a warm up, 2 weeks ago, it went from 40 degrees one day to 100 degrees the next, after that, a little warm up, then followed by rain. dandelions just now blooming, a month behind normal.

happy you found our great forum laz, and wish you a good weekend as well, for what is left of the holiday!:grin:

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I have been keeping bees for a long time but I still have a lot to learn <I actually heard Beneford Weaver make the same statement some years ago and he is about 30 senior to myself and literally has beenkeeping bees his entire life.

a snip..
    WOW 4.29 mmmmm my my my that is huge ripe off!

tecumseh..
    well actually Lazarus4 I think $3.79 is a huge rip off also although the oil folks don't seem to think so. not so surprisingly those places with more modest oil prices (Mexico for example) or have oil to sell (Texas for example) seem to be doing quite well.

when I put on my economist hat everything in the oil business smell of monopoly and price fixing.

ps... every season in Texas is a bit weirder than the ones before. there is no normal here. living on the edge here between the heavy forest of east Texas and the plains (to the west) this variability may be somewhat predictable. this year the spring was back and forth and everything seems to have been set back (lagged) about one month.

20. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome Laz, to this friendly forum (from across the pond). :hi:

Post your questions and queries and you'll get some helpful advice.

Just collected my first swarm of the season ----- everything is late. I suspect it came from the colony in the factory wall.