This is too bad.....

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

It happens fairly regularly. Twice this year in my area that i know of.

Email
    UPDATED: 3:58 pm MDT July 11, 2011

ISLAND PARK, Idaho -- Crews are working to clear honey and beehives off of U.S. Highway 20 after a truck lost its load on Sunday in Island Park. It happened just north of the Last Chance area spilling the hives and honey onto the roadway.
    14 million bees were released and flying around the truck. Emergency and road crews have been working on cleaning up the honey and hives since the accident Sunday afternoon. Firefighters said they used foam to kill the bees.
    It happened around 4:30 on Sunday when the semi-truck driving from California to Minot, North Dakota was ran off the road by an on coming car.
    The Island Park Fire Chief Kenny Strandberg said the driver of the semi said the truck hit the edge of the road and rolled causing the bee crates to hit the ground, breaking the crates open. When he pulled up to the accident the driver was putting his suit on.
    Strandberg said, "It was like a black cloud of honey bees."
    After talking to a bee expert, the Island Park Fire Department used fire foam to spray the bees, killing them. They worked for five hours and were called back out to start spraying again Monday.
    Crew workers said they were stung by bees continuously while working. The bees were in the eyes and face. Most of the stings happen on their face and hands.
    The bees were worth three cents a piece making the whole lot worth more than $400,000.
    PrintEmail

Report a typo or inaccuracy

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I want to sell them some replacement bees, if they are paying that much for them. :eek:

Yes, it is bad news, and as you say, it happens much too often. Not only with loads of bees, but many other truckers lose it trying to keep from killing some idiot in a four wheeler.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah, me too. I wonder how the Reporter figured that out? Guesstimate the number of bees. Get the value from the ownert and do the math?

4. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Yea, at 3 cents a bee, a hive of 50,000 would be worth 1500.00. I'll sell mine for that.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

At $0.03 a piece it would take 13,333,333 bees to make $400,000.

A hive with 50,000 bees would be 266 hives.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the e mail sounds like the replay of one from a year or so ago.

notice there is no date on the report itself only the email.

my math says at 3cents each 14 million bees would be worth $420,000. I would think G3 estimate of about 300 hives is about right for a load of bees in double deep boxes. At $200 each they might be worth $60,000. most times the bees themselves are basically uninsured so the owner likely gets to eat this one.

them Idaho firefighter must be a bit undertrained if they could think of nothing besides over priced fire fighting foam to kill the bees. the fire fighters here do seem to enjoy riding up and down the road in their fire fighting rigs with no where in particular to go.

7. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

the e mail sounds like the replay of one from a year or so ago.

notice there is no date on the report itself only the email.

This is because my copy and paste skills may be a little lacking.....lol. It happened Sunday evening not too far North of me. I should put an ad up to remove bees, maybe I could pick up a few stragglers.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

9. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I feel bad about all those bees that got killed, especially with all the losses we have going on around here.

10. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

When I was a kid we used to drive that road at least once a month either to go camping or visit my grandparents. I never saw anything like that though!!!

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I was watching the late news on tv the other night and they had this story on. (must have been a slow news day since it had not just happened.) seems there report centered around the local officials are worried the bees are going to build new homes in that area and it will be unidated with unwanted bees. Im willing to bet if its not already happened it will soon be back to normal and a person will never be able to tell the accident happened by looking at the bee population.