This I've not seen yet

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crackerbee, May 6, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I've been studying,reading posts and threads on forums for months now,but never ran across this.I had my first hive that I got as a 5 frame nuc that somehow lost it's queen.So I ordered a queen to correct the problem,and introduced her on Sat.(4/30) in a queen cage suspended from 2 middle frames.Three days later(5/03) I went to see if the bees had released her eating the candy out of the end.I looked without moving the queen cage by moving the frame to one side ans saw that she was still in there.So I removed the screen at one end and peeled it back enough so she could walk out,then replaced the cover.It was fairly early in the morning at first light when I did this,and when I looked later that after non I saw she had got out ok.When I removed the cage is when I noticed the bees had drawn comb at the end when the candy was to be accessed.Has anyone else seen this,and what does it mean,or is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I've had them start building comb under the cage, but I hang the cage with the candy up, reasoning that if an attendant dies the queen's exit won't be blocked. Never thought about them building comb over the candy.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As Walt said, the candy end should always be up or horizontal. Never down. I have seen comb on the bottom and sides of the cage. Of course, that was when it was left in there too long.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I've always felt that when the bees start to build comb on the cage, they have accepted the queen. I do a direct release then.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

That makes a lot of sense,I've seen it several ways up,down,sideways and a few others I can't think of right now.That's what's great about learning on forums,and now I know.Just like the saying goes " ask 10 beekeepers the same question and you get 11 different answers.Thanks for the lesson guys.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"ask 10 beekeepers the same question and you get 11 different answers"

WHAT :eek: :shock: ,..........................only 11! :mrgreen:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Dont forget the 3 beat up and 2 shot and wounded when asking a question to a beek

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Elvis said: "I did it my way".

Beeks say: "Do it my way or else".

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

you sure that wasn't Frank Sinatra :wave:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe it was Elvis Sinatra, I don't know. :confused:

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dang cant even get 2 beekeepers to agree on singers this may be worse than I first thought

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

wasn't that Franks wife's second cousins older brother who use to keep bees at his uncles
    neighbors rental house and sing in the shower. :rolling: :rolling:

what's that..............you want me to go to the back of the bus?!?!

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    the candy end should always be up or horizontal.

tecumseh:
    candy end up can lead to it's own problem... in hot weather this can lead to a queen drown in candy.

my preferred method is almost horizontal with the candy end pointed somewhat downward. any method you use can lead to predictable problems which is why checking back after some elapsed time (2 to 3 days) to see if the queen has escaped from her introduction cage is always a good policy.

comb built on the queen cage is quite normal. this only suggest you have young bees capable of producing bees wax and some kind of flow occurring.