This Stinks!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Mar 13, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

All week it is suppose to be in the 70's. Today is close to 80 and so will tomorrow. Maples are blooming and so are other things. BUT, this newbie has to wait till April to get his bees!! That really stinks! :ranting:

:lol:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Some friends of mine have to wait until May 15th to get their nucs. April is pretty good I think!
    I know, it seems like forever. My first year i couldn't stand it and I put up some native mason bee nest boxes, which attracted some little solitary mason bees- that kept me very happy until my honeybees arrived. Now I keep both kinds of bees!

Hey maybe you will get them early!- I'm sure if things are ahead of schedule the supplier will want to get them out the door earlier.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Hey don't think you are the only that has to wait, 82 here today and forcast for the next 6 days in the upper 80. Everything has bloomed here and all the pollen will be gone by the time I get my bees April 15 or after. My poor bees are going to really dig in to make it, they will proably be dead by June with every thing flowered now. I can hardly wait for my bees.

Kebee

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

shame ya dont live a bit closer I have 3 or 4 nucs ready to go and 3 full 10 frame full deeps, Im still not used to reading timelines for this and that for beekeeping and realizing that because of where I live most of it just does not apply to me, I already have laying matted queens and wall to wall brood in all the hives and the single deeps I put another box on are full now and needing yet another box, Im going to be starting 5 to 10 more nucs this weekend, my plan is to use 6 hives for honey in 1 yard and the other 10 hives Im going to be taking small splits off of to start the nucs in another yard.:grin:

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thats often the problem with package bees,check around with the local B keeper club or keepers, you might be able to get a Nuc sooner. Jim

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

I remember the feeling well. Having to wait while everything is in bloom really is frustrating.
    Jim

7. T.J.

T.J. New Member

i feel your pain.i am getting 3 packages April 24 & waiting is getting old. :lol: i tried to call a local beekeeper today that told me he could get me some bees .....couldn't get ahold of him.he works odd hours so i dont want to keep calling.(i dont want to turn into a pest and knock myself out of getting any from him).

T.J.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I think i will email them to see if they will be doing it sooner.

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I will be lucky if I get my nuc in april... they told me first week in May...Its killing me...lol

10. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Get out there and practice using your smoker. Practice lighting it. Try different fuels - what works best for you? what produces a nice, cool smoke?

Practice until you can set it down for 10-15 minutes and NOT have it go out.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suspect that waiting is to your advantage here. optimally you want the bees to arrive as the season begins whereby feeding can be limited and the 'starter hives' most folks go with will not be excessively stressed <ie some natural nectar and pollen flow to encourage growth.

bee keeping (I have come to believe) is most definitely a seasonally affected disorder (sad) with no known cure except the passing of the season.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Waiting for your bees is the first practical lesson of beekeeping. You can't be a beekeeper without plenty of patience. Rush into opening your hive--you'll arouse your bee's anger. :chased:
    Too curious to wait for your introduced queen to settle down long enough with her new family, you might cause her to get "balled". :dash1:
    Rush to extract your honey, you could end up with fermenting syrup. :doh:
    The list is endless--you just have to wait it out and let the nature of beekeeping take its time. :eek:ldtimer:

13. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Just because you can, I would set out some swarm traps. The feral bee's are not on a schedule and they are going to do what bee's do. I set a trap last Saturday and yesterday it was packed! When approached it looked like a squirrel was having its way with the box instead it was a cluster of bee's waiting there turn to enter. Try it you might be surprised. :thumbsup:

14. T.J.

T.J. New Member

hmmm, swarm traps.i am going to have to do a search on here about how to do that.

i might just get lucky.yesterday while i was painting some equipment i had a couple of bee visitors checking out my work...i took it as a good omen :lol:

the nearest hives i know of are about 3 miles away from where i was at.

T.J.

15. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I bought nucs. they say first week of April.

I would love to catch a swarm BUT only have two hives and no place to put a third yet. I'm a small yard bee dude. lol

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an ef snip..
    You can't be a beekeeper without plenty of patience.

tecumseh:
    can I hear an all men from the congregation?

ALL MEN!

17. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Get yourself a couple nuc boxes to put swarms in. We had a beekeeper in our local club, a "townie" who only kept a couple colonies in his backyard, but he was on every swarm-call list around and would catch a dozen or more swarms every spring. He kept a list of beekeepers wanting bees and he would collect swarms, make a call and sell the swarm for $25-$30.

18. kebee

kebee Active Member

Patience, I have, it is in the interest of the bees I am concern about, I don't want them having to work real hard at this. Since I have not seen any bees in my yard in the 19 years I have been here, but just a few 4 or 5 years back I don't think I would have any luck with swarms being near by. By the way does anyone know how high bees fly, there is the highway with quite a bit of traffic with a new high school they built about a mile up the road and a train track on the other side of that which is used quite a bit. I sure don't want them getting ran over every time they go out that way. Got a big brush pile to burn before I get the bees anyway, plan to burn next week.

Kebee

19. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

You don't have anything to worry about, I live within eye shot of I-95 - the busiest highway on the East Coast. I am sure some meet their fate there but if you watch them come out of the hive most are gaining altitude faster than an F-16! :grin:

20. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok so my first bee related item arrived today.. I get home from work and find a package Woo Hooo ... Ok so its my Suit ... Full suit with attached veil.. Ok so they said I should order it a size or 2 larger then normal... Ok let me back up .. I am 6'3" so I ordered the biggest size they had a 5XL.. (XXXXXL) ... So I am all excited I put in on in the livingroom ... all i could say ir one word ... WEDGGIE... ok 2 words ATOMIC WEDGGIE ... Oh my god.. it was in both sides front and back... My voice sounded like I was 13 again... I am starting to think that a sting may not be so bad... I hope it gets better.....