This swarm went postal

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by dr.buzz, Jun 24, 2013.

1. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

This swarm jumped up about 25 feet in a pine tree....I threw a long piece of cable over the branch, tied a USPS mail tub to it, along with a frame of drawn comb. It was just old brood comb, no eggs or larvae. Took about 5 minutes to let them cover the frame and lower the tub, spray them again with syrup and in a new hive they went.....It appeared to just be a little secondary swarm but we had frames of comb to hive them in, so they've been building up nicely. I'm sure it was a federal crime to use .gov property in this way but I guess Holder and Obama will have to get over it........

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

2. pturley

pturley New Member

Great capture!

Excellent method for bringing down high swarms. I am going to have to remember this one!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow, that is really cool! and great photos dr. buzz! you know, i have one those usps tubs sitting around in my garage.........:confused:.......:grin:

4. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Very resourceful! Nicely done! :thumbsup:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Not by any means---this was a case for special delivery. :thumbsup::grin:

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

At least the USPS didn't kill YOUR bees.
    Great capture. :thumbsup:

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

All swarms sould be so lucky as to have empty comb in an instant! Well done, enjoyed your account. :)

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some folks are just faster on their feet than I am. Smart job! :thumbsup:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Excellent idea for sure!!

Glad to see the young lady as a beekeeper!

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i think ef has said it the best:
    "this was a case for special delivery. :thumbsup::grin:

:grin:

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I guess if everything went according to plan and it didn't take too long, it was really a Speedy Delivery! :D

[​IMG]

It looks like they'll be happy in their new home. :)

12. junkhound

junkhound New Member

I too will remember this trick. Thanks for the pictures.
    junkhound

13. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Good job and good pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I like that trick and will try to remember it.

14. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Very well done, will have to remember that trick....my last one like yours was up about 80 feet and getting old I guess, could not throw anything over the limb...again well done and thanks for the pictures. Tom

15. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Next year if I happen to get another one that's too high, I want to try throwing a line over the next closest branch under it that can be reached, and raising up a frame of brood comb along with one of those brood pheromone disks and the drop of lemon grass oil........Supposedly the brood pheromone is for putting in your hives in the Spring to make the bees think there is tons of brood that needs to be fed and it stimulates them into foraging earlier or faster or whatever. I hate to put an actual frame of eggs up a tree for more than a few minutes, but the pheromone disk can be left up there until the swarm cluster either is attracted to it or leaves for somewhere else.......

This year I had swarm traps on my property.....lived-in equipment, comb, LGO, etc...but this year I played with some new ways that resulted in more swarms than I'd like, and they almost all went way up in pine trees, most of which I couldn't reach and just had to let them fly away.....So, next year I'll reduce the number of swarms that issue to begin with, and try to find ways to not lose any that I can see...........This year we had 13 known swarms and only captured 5 of them.......