This time last year

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by SlickMick, Apr 2, 2010.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I wonder how many of us look back to this time last year to see where we have come from with our beekeeping.

This time last year I had lost my only 2 hives to SHB and was wondering where I would get my next bees from.

I caught a small swarm and bought a 5 frame nuc and there was the start of my present 7 hives and 3 nucs all from swarms except for the purchased nuc. I have also given 3 nucs away that I made up from hives that were overcrowded.

My swarms built up so quickly that they were swarming themselves.. all except 1 were recaptured. My mandarin and macadamia trees proved to be wonderful swarm traps, with the mandarin tree winning the numbers trapped by a wide margin. It now looks quite strange almost like a bad hair cut where I have cut branches off to collect the swarm. Most were nice and low to the ground also so I only needed a ladder a few times.

Had a wonderful experience collecting a really large swarm mid year. The swarm was so big it would not fit into a 10 frame deep and I had to use 2 deeps to house it. When I shook the swarm into the collecting box they landed on the side of it and tipped it over... wow 30,000++ angry girls. Glad that I had my veil and top on but I still collected a heap of stings to my hands and legs (I was in shorts). I had Cabbage Patch dolls hands for a week or so.

Anyhow I have collected and given away a heap of honey and sold a lot too. I still have 50 litres + at home in drums.

I have gone to crush and strain and together with bottom board traps that seems to have resolved much of my SHB problems.

So a lot has happened since this time last year

Slickmick

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like your education is proceeding quite nicely.

here the swarms will alway go to the highest limb on a large tree. so you are fortunate to have such a handy low hanging swarm catchin' tree.

I would guess you are looking ahead to your 'fall' and 'winter' seasons?

and the best to ya'....

3. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

We dont get a shut down over the winter.. I imagine it to be like Florida.

My girls fly all year and bring in the golden stuff. I live in the city only 6k from the CBD (downtown) as the crow flies and there is always something in flower. I am simply amazed that the suburbs can support 10 hives like mine do.

All I seem to get is a drop off in numbers and in the activity. Nights at the moment down to 65 and the days are still holding 80 although around here it drops to about 40 and 65. Never had a frost

So what has the last year brought you guys?

SlickMick

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

This time last year I only had 1 hive left and they threw a huge swarm, did a couple of cut outs, a bee tree and SgtMaj gave me a small swarm. Back down to two hives this year, I guess you could say I have doubled in size since last year :lol:

G3

5. rast

rast New Member

Last year at this time I think I had about 8 or 9 hives. Freezes came and no honey. Sold some and lost some. Now I am at a little over 20 and heading for 30 give or take. I bought some, made some and caught some. My goal is 50 by the end of 2011, then the decision to sell bees, make honey, or pollination (in that order) will have to be made.