This year's harvest

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Gypsi, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe I got 26 lbs of honey, about 6 lbs of it packed as comb honey but drowned in the liquid gold. How did everyone else do?

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

About 10 gallons so far. Looked today when fogging... I could probably take another 5 gallons at the end of the month, but would rather put more honey on this year's splits. I didn't don my bees any favors by trying to feed last winter.

And, I still have time for a band of robbers to show up. :club:

I'm happy, considering I only brought one large colony through the winter last year. Bought 4 early packs (Calf bees from Mann Lakes on 4/4), and did splits for a total of now 10 scheduled to go into the this winter.

3. Melissaejacklyn

Melissaejacklyn New Member

Is it more ethical to harvest in spring? Then you are just taking what wasn't used during winter, and then you wouldn't need to feed?

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

it might be ethical to harvest in spring but if I did my bees would starve out before summer. It is more ethical to harvest when they have enough to share. I live in North Texas with maybe 1 month of flow in spring, 1 month of less flow in fall. We had a 5 year drought dearth and I took up beekeeping in March 2011, a few months after the drought started.

There will never be a year when I do not have to feed some syrup in midsummer, fondant in winter, with or without my harvesting honey. I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars a year on beekeeping, and work this hard, and totally not harvest any honey. I got 50 lbs from 4 hives. (actually most of it came from one hive and they practice small cluster and good workforce the rest of the year)