Those little blue flowers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jan 30, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was cleaning out fence rows today (mid 60's :confused: ) and kept hearing bees in the grass, i brushed the grass apart and they were working those tiny blue flowers that Hobie identified for me last year. I can't find it on the forum and can't remember the name of them, as small as they are they couldn't produce much of anything, but they were all over them. :thumbsup: Jack
    PS. probably because nothing else is in bloom. :mrgreen:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

henbit?? I can't believe they are blooming at your location already???

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Hobie, that's what we decided they were, these are all blue and last year i would find some that were white. They must release an aroma for the bees to find them in the grass, but i pulled some and didn't get an aroma from them? Your right tec. it's to early for Henbit, but if we keep having sixty degree weather, who knows :confused: . We also have Dead nettle (mint family) that looks like Henbit and grows and blooms side by side, but the bees don't work one of them and i never can remember which one. I think it's the Dead nettle they work? Our January had one light snow (one inch) and the daytime temps. 40's to 60's very strange :confused: . Jack

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

They're calling for 55 degrees here today. I put out some syrup... Wish I would be home before dark to put some dry sugar on as well.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and thanks for the link Hobie.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

They were probably harvesting pollen.

8. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

The little blue flowers are Henbit - and the bees love it - We have it blooming here as well right now -

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Nope, not henbit. The plant that these are on don't get over 2 to 3 inches tall, are down in the grass. Some have white blooms also and the blooms (are about 1/8 inches across) open where the sun is shining on them. Strange i never seen them till about a year ago. :confused: Jack
    PS. i think Hobie nailed it, (slender speedwell)

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Can someone post a nice close up picture or two of the blue flowers and clear the fog for the rest of us??

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

12. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I agree - not henbit - after looking at your picture - I'll have to check that out in my Ozark Wildflowers book

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What i find strange about this flower, is that i never seen it until 2 or 3? years ago after we had several bad stroms? While working at the farmers market in my home town, i had several customers and neighbors ask me if i had seen those small blue flowers in the grass that bees work on.So i'm not the only one that hadn't seen them before. :confused: Jack