thought I had the ticket with alfalfa

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 26, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have a small out yard that is in alfalfa I removed all the hives last year. production was marginal do to them cutting the alalfa before it blooms. This year the owner called to let me know the alfalfa was going to go to seed after the first cutting. I moved 3 hives out that way and 5 nucs. Went out last week the alfalfa was ready to break out into a full bloom I supered one hive with 3 supers and crowed down the bees in2 hives putting cut comb honey supers on them. I drove by friday afternoon and the alfalfa was cut. I didnt talk to the owneer but this brother said the price of alfalfa rose so he cut it. Sure wish he was as quick to call on his descision to cut as he was to call me that he was going to let it go to seed for harvest.

2. Monie

Monie New Member

What a butt. Don't deal with him anymore.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what stinks is he called me clear back in march asking if I would put bees out to help with the pollination. Then he does this. Im going to move the hives off to another yard next week. There is 30 acres of cotton on the other side of the fence behind the hives that is just starting to come up. I figured they would put it to beans. The guy who farms the cotton has a bad habit of not calling when he sprays. And the land owner of the cotton thinks I should give him all the free honey he can use since the bees work his cotton even though the hives are not on his property. Almost goes as far to say the bees took his nectar and get water from his horse tank so Its his honey.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Time to take the bees home.

5. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

He asked you to put them out for pollination... Charge him for pollination. You can't be responsible for changes in the alfalfa market.
    As for the cotton farmer, keep your mouth shut and then give the land owner some honey and tell him that as far as you know its pesticide free but nobody ever tells you when they spray so eat at your own risk. :mrgreen:

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Were it me I would just move the hives. I have found that there is always some one who wants the bees on their property and treat them right. I also have found that farmers don't seem to care about telling you when they are going to spray. After all they don't know CHIT about honey bees and only care about what they gain from them.

We have a yard that has been there a very very long time. Fellow used to work the second shift and stay at the bar till closeing so working the bees wasn't a problem, Retired now. Then his daughter moved in with him one spring. He had a day off so complained about us being there so much. We had been building nucs from the bees there.
    Well we stopped gouing there as often. But the colonies keep falling in numbers. He recently asked why I havn't been coming to knock the weeds down in front of the hives. So I told him you said you didn't want us there so much so we aren't.

:mrgreen: Al

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I finally got to talk to the guy who owns the hay mill. I havent seen the owner of the field. He said The guy they had lined out to combine the seed was unable to do it when they was wanting it done. Alfalfa was up in price at the local mill so he had them cut it. they are planning on letting it go to seed this time. If it gets hot and dry the alfalfa dont grow much. I told him I was moving the hives out to another location. He said he would rather i keep them there for pollination. But wasnt willing to pay. Funny how he doesnt want to lose money but could care less about whats in in for the bee keep.

8. Monie

Monie New Member

Definitely time to move.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

done moved them off got them on another farmers alfalfa he lets bloom since he is feeding to beef cattle and not dairy